- "The Black Prince" redirects here. For the NPC faction, see The Black Prince (faction).
|Title||<The Black Prince>|
|Race||Black whelp (Dragonkin)|
|Level||85 / 90 Elite|
|Affiliation||The Black Prince, Ravenholdt, Black dragonflight|
|Location|| Tavern in the Mists, Veiled Stair
Ravenholdt Manor, Hillsbrad Foothills
|Relative(s)||Nyxondra (mother), Deathwing (father), Various black dragons (siblings)|
Wrathion, the Black Prince, is the only black dragon to date uncorrupted by the taint of the Old Gods. Following the death of Deathwing and the destruction of the corrupted black dragonflight, Wrathion is the last known black dragon alive on Azeroth.
This section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
The ambitious red dragon Rheastrasza, also known by her goblin guise Rhea, traveled to the Badlands to research the black dragonflight and to find a way to purify them. She captured the black dragon, Nyxondra, and forced her to lay eggs for the experiments. She and Dr. Hieronymus Blam eventually succeeded in creating a purified black dragon egg with an ancient titan device, a black whelp corpse, a wild black dragon egg and one of Nyxondra's eggs. She constantly moved around to avoid being found by agents of the black dragonflight, who wanted to destroy the egg. She was however killed by Deathwing in the end, who was after the egg. The egg he destroyed, however, was not the purified one, but Rheastrasza's own egg. Hieronymus Blam had already moved the real purified egg on to a safer location, away from the Badlands, so it could continue to grow, out of Deathwing's sight. The egg was hidden under the care of Corastrasza in Vermillion Redoubt, a Red dragonflight outpost in the Twilight Highlands. At some point later the egg simply disappeared.
The Black Prince
This section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
Rogues willing to do whatever is necessary to ignite a brighter future must first delve into the Dragon Soul raid dungeon to begin the quest line. Those who prove their prowess within will be set on a collision course with Ravenholdt Manor and the enigmatic Black Prince, Wrathion. This shadowy figure could be the key to victory for the mortal races, but what is his true agenda? Before the truth behind these mysteries are revealed, enterprising assassins will need to fight tense raid battles against Deathwing's most powerful minions, and embark alone on perilous missions to seal the fate of the Black Dragonflight. The quest culminates in the earth-scorching execution of Deathwing himself and a shocking revelation about the true nature of the mission.
Mists of Pandaria
This section concerns content exclusive to Mists of Pandaria.
It's hinted that Wrathion has traveled to Pandaria when he heard rumors of the land. This was proven true, as Wrathion resides now in the Tavern in the Mists, which is found in the Veiled Stair of Pandaria.
Wrathion foreshadows a terrible threat to Azeroth is coming—a threat that a divided Azeroth cannot hope to stand against. Thus he believes the only way to prepare Azeroth for the coming threat is to have one faction win and dominate the other. He advises adventurers to bring a swift end to the Alliance-Horde War and gives his unwavering support to which ever faction the adventurer belongs to. Thus he will assist not just the Rogues during the Legendary storyline, but everyone else residing in or outside the conflict. So, Wrathion will give all of the adventurers quests to test their valor such as entering the Terrace of Endless Spring to defeat the Sha of Fear. After that, the adventurers will be rewarded greatly for their accomplishments by having Wrathion imbue their Sha touched weapons with his power. Wrathion then asks adventurers to let him know when their faction's naval fleet arrives during Patch 5.1.
If you have  , signal your factions fleet in order to continue the story line. Wrathion wants to test the player's commitment to the Alliance-Horde War and uses his blood to see through the player's eyes, thus monitoring his or her progress. He tasks the player to kill Alliance/Horde soldiers at the shores in order to gain revered with him and prove to him that their faction deserves to win the war. Then, he will bring up King Varian Wrynn/Warchief Garrosh Hellscream to talk about their pasts and how they fare as leaders. Afterward, you'll have to gather 6000 . During that process, go kill the Alliance/Horde Commander and win the following battlegrounds: Silvershard Mines and Temple of Kotmogu. After a long haul to get 6000 Valor Points, he'll bring up your faction leader again and discusses their merits as leaders of their factions and what he's learned about each respective faction. He tells the player to continue to hone his or her skills in Pandaria and then arms them with the to increase the player's prowess. At last, he brings up a new threat: The Thunder King. Talk to him when you are ready in Patch 5.2.
Rise of the Thunder King
If you have  , get  from Tong the Fixer who informs the player that Wrathion is upstairs. You see Sunwalker Dezco on the ground kneeled, Alliance guards, and Anduin Wrynn recovering from his wounds and playing a pandaren board game with Wrathion. Both Anduin and Wrathion have been discussing current events and as they play, they discuss Lei Shen the Thunder King, and his leadership style; to which they disagree with each other if whether his tyrannical and brutal reign should be applauded or not. Anduin disapproves of Wrathion's hard cutthroat outlook and Wrathion likewise think Anduin too soft. At this point, Wrathion recruits the player to act as his champion and to show his might by terrorizing any mogu, Zandalari, or saurok that you find. The player can get to exalted by being his champion during your faction's assault on the Isle of Thunder.
Wrathion must know the origin and source of Mogu power, and Azeroth's mightiest heroes will aid the Black Prince in finding out what it is. The search for information will take players into the depths of the Thunder King's Palace, and pit them against trials of perseverance and skill. Along the way, they'll unlock the secrets to a new legendary metagem, Crown of the Heavens. Once on the Isle of Thunder, you collect for him 20 and 40 Trillium Bars. Then you must progress to the Thunder Forges to continue for his next task. Call him shortly after you get the forge up and running again. Wrathion then asks you to engage the Foot of Lei Shen and use the on Storm Lord Nalak, which is a world boss, so you must get a group together to take him down. Afterwards, return to Mason's Folly where you got your Sha-Touched gem and Wrathion presents you with the Crown of Heaven. Anduin distrusts Wrathion and warns the player to think twice before putting that thing on your head. Go back for collecting 12 and at last: kill Lei Shen himself for the . This leads up to the preparation of whats to come in Patch 5.3.
|This article or section is a lore stub. You can help expand it by editing it.
Tavern in the Mists
- "They wanted to hold me, to keep watch over me – a prisoner in all but name. But I will NOT be held accountable for the sins of my father. My destiny will be my own."
- I do not share my father's madness.
- A new era is beginning.
- I must remain hidden, so that I remain free.
- I believe an individual can have an enormous impact on the world.
- You do not want to make it onto my list!
Mists of Pandaria
<The Black Prince looks you up and down.>
It is very good to meet you, <class>. You are one of the vanguard, it would seem - an explorer in a strange new land. And how have you been finding the mysterious continent of Pandaria?
You have the look of someone who gets things done. I want you to return to me once you've gotten the lay of the land.
I will be right here.
Welcome, <class>! My contacts throughout Pandaria tell me that you have been quite busy here. I admire mortals with your... 'initiative.'
History finds us at a turning point. If you are prepared to meet destiny with me head on, I will ensure that you are richly rewarded for your efforts.
I have chosen the name "Wrathion." To my knowledge, I am the last of the black dragons.
My father was Deathwing, the Worldbreaker, the Aspect of Death, the Destroyer... But I hope you will not hold that against me.
I have no love for my father, whose corruption destroyed my race, or for the Red Dragonflight, who stole away and experimented on my egg to create me.
Let's just say, I am... unaffiliated. And I am always on the lookout for like-minded heroes.
- A new era has begun.
- Pandaria: a land of mystery, history, and opportunity.
- We stand at the crossroads of history.
- The battle for Pandaria rages on.
- This war could tear Azeroth apart.
- Is there such a thing as a righteous war?
- These Pandaren question everything. It makes you think?
- There is so much we can learn from the Mogu.
- There is a hidden darkness to this land. Do you feel it?
- This is an awfully one-sided conversation.
- Did you hear what happened to the rest of the Black Dragonflight?
- I had them killed. All of them...
- ...And THEY were family.
- So, if I were you, I would carefully consider your decision to continue poking me.
While Wrathion's mother is clearly Nyxondra, the identity of his father is debatable. Since Sinestra is the only mate of Deathwing who survived mating with him it seemed highly unlikely that Wrathion was the direct son of Deathwing. Neltharion/Deathwing is the leader of the black dragonflight and as such is likely seen as the father of the entire flight (which could be why he refers to Deathwing's actions and why the legendary daggers are named Fangs of the Father). As there is no real shortage of other named (and unnamed) male black dragons, Wrathion's actual father could have be any of them. In the German version the set is entitled "Fänge des Urvaters". "Urvater" means something like ancestor, which suggested that Deathwing was not Wrathion's true father. However Quest Designer Dave Kosak and in-game Wrathion stated numerous times outright that Deathwing is his father. While this ends most of the debate on who Wrathion's father is, it raises further questions: it is unclear how or when Deathwing mated with Nyxondra, or how Nyxondra survived.
Dave Kosak on Wrathion
During an interview with WoW Insider in 2012 Lead Quest Designer Dave Kosak talked about Wrathion:
- When we had written that questline in the Badlands there, we knew that this would be a cool story thread to pick up some day. But if you really think about how long it would take a dragon to mature and start developing his own thoughts, it'd be a long time. Like decades. And we didn't really have time for that! So I said well, OK -- if we ask people to buy into this one thing, that because of these experiments he can have some self-awareness early on, wow - what an interesting character that is!
- All of a sudden he's so compelling. Because let's see, his father was crazy and tried to destroy the world, his mother was basically raped by the red dragonflight, then his egg was experimented on to sever his ties with his own family - so how do you view the world at that point? Well, you don't really view the world as a friendly place. You're probably eager to take control of your own destiny, which he does, even before he hatches. And then you kind of have this thing to atone for - your father tried to destroy the world. Your father went crazy. Are you crazy? How do you not be crazy, how do you make up for what your father did. Suddenly he's such a cool character! I really want to explore that character. We kind of went nuts with it. So we kind of asked people -- well if you can already buy in to the idea that he hatched from his egg and already started hatching schemes, then there's a whole cool story that can come from that. And we really rolled with it.
- That was kind of the genesis of that character. His value to the franchise is he really can kind of stand above Alliance and Horde, and really try and be a good guy, but without all the moral reservations that most good guys have. He really does have the best interests of Azeroth in mind, but his interests may not necessarily line up with our interests. His plan may not be the way that we would think of planning it. That kind of gray area between hero and villain is so cool for us, very cool to explore. And you're never sure whether you should trust him or not. It helps that we got a wonderful voice actor who really gets that across. He gets that kind of, that air of arrogance and also a little bit of smarminess. You know, like you like him, but don't trust him at the same time. Wonderful, wonderful characterization.
- He's voiced by Aaron Phillips.
- Patch 5.3.0 (2013-05-21): New appearances added.
- Patch 5.2.0 (2013-03-05): New appearances added.
- Patch 5.1.0 (2012-11-27): New appearance added.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Added on Pandaria in the Tavern in the Mists in the Veiled Stair.
- Patch 4.3.0 (2011-11-29): Added.
- ^ : "I need you to kill my father himself. You must destroy Deathwing."
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ 4.3 Patch Preview - Fangs of the Father
- ^ Wrathion's story part 4
- ^ 
- ^ Night of the Dragon, chapter 11
- ^ Wthation Gossip Text; Cataclysm Recap Video: Legendary Rogue; 
- ^ WoW Insider interviews Lead Quest Designer Dave Kosak