|Title||High Overlord of the Kor'kron Guard, Supreme Commander of the Might of Kalimdor, Saurfang the Elder |
|Affiliation||Horde, Might of Kalimdor, Warsong Offensive, Kor'kron Guard|
|Occupation||High Overlord of the Kor'kron Guard, Second-In-Command of the Horde Expedition, Supreme Commander of the Might of Kalimdor, Chief Advisor to Garrosh Hellscream|
|Location||Warsong Hold, Borean Tundra or Icecrown Citadel|
|Relative(s)||(older brother), unnamed brother or half brother, (son), (niece)|
- "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
High Overlord Varok Saurfang is a legendary Horde warrior who served as Supreme Commander of the combined war effort against Ahn'Qiraj in Kalimdor and now leads the Kor'kron against the Scourge in Northrend.
Varok Saurfang was a member of the Blackrock Clan and has served with the Horde ever since he drank the blood of Mannoroth alongside Grom Hellscream. Varok led forces in the sacking of Shattrath, Stormwind, and everything between, never losing in battle until the Horde was routed at the end of the Second War.
When Orgrim Doomhammer seized control of the Horde in the First War, he chose Varok Saurfang as his second-in-command after witnessing Varok's efficient and brutal tactics on the field. After the demonic bloodlust had been lifted from the orcs due to Grom Hellscream's sacrifice, Varok helped dozens of veterans come to grips with their previous atrocities, ultimately saving the lives of many great Horde soldiers. Varok went on to become a famed veteran of the First, Second, and Third Wars.
Although the Blood Curse drove him to murder many innocents, Varok refuses to use that as an excuse: like many others, he made the decision to drink freely. Drinking the blood and his actions under the blood curse haunt him, and to this day he deeply regrets both events. Although orcs are said to be fond of pork, the sound of swine being killed when they are ready for slaughter remind him of the death screams of the draenei children, and older veterans like Varok are often troubled by the memory. It disturbed Varok so deeply that he has refused to eat pork ever since. He will not shy away from war, or hesitate to defend his people and the Horde. However, he refuses to start a war, and if it is within his power, he will prevent a warmongering spirit from doing so. Whether through actions or by words, he will stop them anyway he can... no matter what.
His brother Broxigar traveled back in time to the War of the Ancients and died in glorious battle against the Burning Legion. Varok's mate apparently died around the time the Dark Portal opened and was burned in Nagrand. Having promised his mate that their son would not be exposed to the warlocks or cross the Dark Portal, their son Dranosh was hidden away at Garadar in Nagrand, and lived there until Wrath of the Lich King.
World of Warcraft
This section concerns content exclusive to World of Warcraft.
The Gates of Ahn'Qiraj
During the Second War of the Shifting Sands, Saurfang travelled to the front lines in Silithus. He acted as the Supreme Commander of the Might of Kalimdor in the war against the silithid and their qiraji masters.
This section concerns content exclusive to World of Warcraft.
Varok was present when Scourge attacked Orgrimmar and helped defend the city. After the battle, Thrall pronounced that Varok will go to Northrend.
Wrath of the Lich King
This section concerns content exclusive to Wrath of the Lich King.
Saurfang is stationed in Warsong Hold as advisor to Garrosh Hellscream. He commands the Kor'kron Guard in Northrend and remains wary of the resurfacing bloodlust of the orcs, due to its employment in Hellscream's savage but successful tactics.
During the battle for Angrathar the Wrathgate, the main entrance to Icecrown, Dranosh Saurfang fell to the Lich King shortly before the treachery of Grand Apothecary Putress. Players bring Dranosh's shattered armor back to his father at the behest of Alexstrasza.
After the , Varok reminds Thrall, who is lamenting the broken peace between the Alliance and the Horde, of his duty to lead their people.
Once the undead form of his son (now called the Deathbringer) is defeated, Varok claims his body. He promises to give his son a proper ceremony in Nagrand, next to the pyres of his mother and ancestors. He ends with saying to the Horde players: "Honor, young heroes. No matter how dire the battle, never forsake it."
The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm
Around the time of the Cataclysm, Cairne Bloodhoof travels to Warsong Hold to meet with Garrosh. It is revealed that Saurfang will remain within the hold as part of the Horde's Northrend skeleton crew and as the leader of the Warsong Offensive and the Horde Expedition. As Cairne bid Saurfang farewell, he could see in the orc's eyes that he knew that there would be plenty of ghosts to haunt him, if only in his memories.
In the final event of Mists of Pandaria, Garrosh Hellscream will be revealed as corrupted and doing some really nasty things beneath Orgrimmar. Saurfang once said he would rather kill Garrosh himself instead of letting him go down the dark path the orcs had taken with the Blood Curse. He may be encountered in the event. Also, Thrall mentioned that he would head over to Orgrimmar to find any orcs that wish to rebel against Garrosh, specifically Eitrigg and Saurfang.
- Charge — Charges an enemy, knocking it back, and inflicting normal damage plus 150.
- Cleave — Inflicts weapon damage plus 50 to an enemy and its nearest allies, affecting up to 10 targets.
- Mortal Strike — Inflicts 500% weapon damage and leaves the target wounded, reducing the effectiveness of any healing by 50% for 5 seconds.
- Saurfang's Rage — Saurfang's rage comes in the form of a mighty round-house kick, followed by a sweeping strike that deals 8,000 to 12,000 damage.
- Saurfang's Rage — Increases melee, ranged, and spell casting speed by 35% for all party members. Lasts 20 seconds.
- Terrifying Roar — Causes nearby enemies to flee in fear for 5 seconds.
- Whirlwind — Attacks nearby enemies in a whirlwind of steel that lasts 15 seconds and inflicts normal damage plus 100.
- "I am Saurfang. Brother of Broxigar. You know me to be the Supreme Commander of the Might of Kalimdor. An orc - a true orc warrior - wishes for one thing: To die in the glory of battle against a hated enemy. Some of you have fought in battles. Peace has been with us for many years. Many years we sat idle but many years we battled. In those years - where strife the land and Legion and Scourge sacked our homes, killed our families - these insects dwelled beneath us. Beneath our homes - waiting. Waiting to crush the life from our little ones. To slay all in their path. This they do for their god. And for our gods? We defend. We stand. We show that as one. United. We destroy. Their god will fall. To die today, on this field of battle, is to die an orcish death. To die today is to die for our little ones. Our old ones. Our… loved ones. Would any of you deny yourselves such a death? Such an honor?"
Dialogue with Garrosh in Warsong Hold
Varok Saurfang turns around to speak with Garrosh.
High Overlord Saurfang says: We are surrounded... Our enemies press in from all sides, young Hellscream.
Saurfang walks to the central and Borean Tundra portions of the hide map of Northrend on the floor, kneeling to point them out, then walks off the map to stand before Garrosh.
High Overlord Saurfang says: The Scourge descends like locust from the north.
High Overlord Saurfang says: The Alliance holds the only secure shipping lane in this region, and even that is at risk of being lost to those dreaded mists.
High Overlord Saurfang says: Our only viable port for resupply is held by the Forsaken on the other side of this blasted continent!
High Overlord Saurfang says: Anything our zeppelins cannot haul must be brought in by ship and travel the length of Northrend to reach us.
Saurfang walks back to his usual spot.
Garrosh Hellscream grunts.
Garrosh walks up to the map and kneels.
Garrosh Hellscream says: Shipping lanes... supplies... You bore me to death! We need nothing more than the warrior spirit of the Horde, Saurfang! Now that we are firmly entrenched in this frozen wasteland, nothing shall stop us!
High Overlord Saurfang says: Siege engines, ammunition, heavy armor... How do you propose to shatter the walls of Icecrown without those?
Garrosh Hellscream says: Propose? I will show you what I propose!
Garrosh crushes the figures and flag indicating Valiance Keep on the map.
Garrosh Hellscream says: There... Now we now have a shipping lane.
Garrosh crushes the figures and flags indicating Valgarde and Westguard Keep.
Garrosh Hellscream says: And just for good measure...
Garrosh walks back to his usual spot.
High Overlord Saurfang says: So the prodigal son has spoken!
High Overlord Saurfang says: Your father's blood runs strong in you, Hellscream. Impatient as always... Impatient and reckless.
High Overlord Saurfang says: You rush headlong into all-out war without a thought of the consequences.
Garrosh Hellscream says: Do not speak to me of consequences, old one.
High Overlord Saurfang says: I drank of the same blood your father did, Garrosh. Mannoroth's cursed venom pumped through my veins as well.
High Overlord Saurfang says: I drove my weapons into the bodies and minds of my enemies.
High Overlord Saurfang says: And while Grom died a glorious death - freeing us all from the blood curse - he could not wipe away the terrible memory of our past.
High Overlord Saurfang says: His act could not erase the horrors we committed.
High Overlord Saurfang pauses.
High Overlord Saurfang says: The winter after the curse was lifted, hundreds of veteran orcs like me were lost to despair.
High Overlord Saurfang says: Our minds were finally free, yes... Free to relive all of the unthinkable acts that we had performed under the Legion's influence.
High Overlord Saurfang nods.
High Overlord Saurfang says: I think it was the sounds of the draenei children that unnerved most of them... You never forget...
High Overlord Saurfang says: Have you ever been to Jaggedswine Farm? When the swine are of age for the slaughter... It's that sound. The sound of the swine being killed... It resonates the loudest. Those are hard times for us older veterans.
Garrosh Hellscream says: But surely you cannot think that those children were born into innocence? They would have grown up and taken arms against us!
High Overlord Saurfang shakes his head.
High Overlord Saurfang says: I am not speaking solely of the children of our enemies...
High Overlord Saurfang pauses.
High Overlord Saurfang says: I won't let you take us down that dark path again, young Hellscream. I'll kill you myself before that day comes...
Saurfang turns away and looks at the map instead.
Garrosh Hellscream says: How have you managed to survive for so long, Saurfang? Not fallen victim to your own memories?
Saurfang turns around for a moment to answer.
High Overlord Saurfang says: I don't eat pork...
High Overlord Saurfang spits.
Dialogue during the Gunship Battle
High Overlord Saurfang yells: Rise up, sons and daughters of the Horde! Today we battle a hated enemy of the Horde! LOK'TAR OGAR!
High Overlord Saurfang yells: Kor'kron! Take us out!
High Overlord Saurfang yells: What is that? Something approaching in the distance!
High Overlord Saurfang yells: ALLIANCE GUNSHIP! All hands on deck!
High Overlord Saurfang yells: You answer to Saurfang now!
Muradin Bronzebeard yells: Move your jalopy or we'll blow it out of the sky, orc! The Horde's got no business here!
High Overlord Saurfang yells: You will know our business soon! KOR'KRON! ANNIHILATE THEM!
Dialogue during the Deathbringer Saurfang Battle
Saurfang confronts his son, Deathbringer Saurfang, now turned into a Death Knight.
High Overlord Saurfang yells: Kor'kron, move out! Champions, watch your backs. The Scourge have been...
Deathbringer Saurfang yells: Join me, father. Join me and we will crush this world in the name of the Scourge -- for the glory of the Lich King!
High Overlord Saurfang says: My boy died at the Wrath Gate. I am here only to collect his body.
Deathbringer Saurfang yells: Stubborn and old. What chance do you have? I am stronger, and more powerful than you ever were.
High Overlord Saurfang says: We named him Dranosh. It means "Heart of Draenor" in orcish. I would not let the warlocks take him. My boy would be safe, hidden away by the elders of Garadar.
High Overlord Saurfang says: I made a promise to his mother before she died; that I would cross the Dark Portal alone - whether I lived or died, my son would be safe. Untainted...
High Overlord Saurfang says: Today, I fulfill that promise.
High Overlord Saurfang charges!
Deathbringer Saurfang yells: Pathetic old orc. Come then heroes. Come and face the might of the Scourge!
High Overlord Saurfang coughs.
High Overlord Saurfang weeps over the corpse of his son.
High Overlord Saurfang says: You will have a proper ceremony in Nagrand next to the pyres of your mother and ancestors.
High Overlord Saurfang says: Honor, young heroes... no matter how dire the battle... Never forsake it!
- "High Overlord," Cairne rumbled, bowing. "As a father myself, I grieve for what you have had to endure. But know that your son died a hero, and what you have wrought here honors his memory. Anything else is borne away on the winds."
Saurfang grunted acknowledgment. "It is good to see you again, High Chieftain Cairne Bloodhoof. And... I know what you say is true. I am not ashamed to say, though, that I am glad this campaign has finally come to an end. We have lost too much."
- "I [Garrosh] leave a skeleton crew with Saurfang." [...] "It is my belief that my former advisor will sit and watch spiders spin cobwebs and fully enjoy the peace he so obviously craves."
"We have both done our duties. We serve the Horde. If I serve by watching little spiders instead of fighting large ones, then I am well content."
- Sometime after the Ahn'Qiraj gate events, Saurfang became a pop icon to Horde players, who affectionately create "facts" about him in the style of other pop culture icons such as Vin Diesel and Chuck Norris.
- At one point, he was able to be mind-controlled by Alliance players. Due to a bug, they could then use his skill with a full rage bar, leading to some of the most magnificent crit videos ever seen in WoW.
- Varok Saurfang is voiced by Alan Shearman.
Saurfang, as represented in the official comic.
- Hotfix (2009-12-16): "Saurfang will no longer gain stacks of Battlefury from totems. Additionally, the duration of Battlefury has also been reduced."
- Patch 3.3.0 (2009-12-08): Added in Icecrown Citadel.
- Patch 3.0.3 (2008-11-04): Added in Warsong Hold and seen at the end of  .
- Patch 1.5.0 (2005-06-07): Added.
- ^ World of Warcraft: Stormrage, p. 5
- ^ The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm, pg. 14
- ^ , Thrall says: It's good to have you back, Varok, old friend. I'm sorry about your boy.
- ^ http://www.wowinsider.com/2008/08/28/know-your-lore-high-overlord-saurfang/
- ^ Chris Metzen, Quests & Lore Panel, BlizzCon 2010
- ^ http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=25626575587&sid=1 Ask CDev #1 Answers - Round 1
- ^ Deathbringer Saurfang - Quotes, High Overlord Saurfang says: I made a promise to his mother before she died: that I would cross the Dark Portal alone
- ^ http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/underdev/3p3/icecrown-raid.xml
- ^ The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm
- ^ []
- ^ #Dialogue_with_Garrosh_in_Warsong_Hold
- ^ Escalation
- ^ http://www.lowmoan.com/ashearman/voice.html