Valiona and Theralion
|This article or section is a strategy stub. You can help expand it by editing it.
Valiona and Theralion
|Race||Twilight dragon (Dragonkin)|
|Location||The Twilight Enclave, Bastion of Twilight|
The Dragon Siblings encounter, comprising Valiona and Theralion, make up the second boss encounter in the Bastion of Twilight. They are located in the Twilight Enclave part of the instance and considered a moderately difficult fight, particularly in comparison to the preceding fight, Halfus Wyrmbreaker.
Magically aged to adult-hood, Valiona and Theralion were to be paragons among a new clutch of twilight dragons, leading their brood in scouring Azeroth of life. Instead, they waste their incredible powers constantly bickering and fighting each other.
Valiona and Theralion share an health pool as well as threat. They do not reset upon landing or taking off.
- Blackout — Dispellable debuff placed on a player, absorbs 20,000 healing and when dispelled or expired causes 250,000 shadow damage split between all nearby players.
- Devouring Flames — Devouring Flames inflicts 80000 (Heroic: 110000) Shadow damage every 1 sec, the damage is lower the further the target is from the origin of the Devouring Flames.
- Twilight Meteorite — Inflicts 146250 to 153750 Shadow damage to enemies within 0 yards, splitting damage to nearby enemies.
- Deep Breath — Valiona takes a deep breath and begins to cast Twilight Flames which inflict 14625 to 15375 Shadow damage per second and send the target into the Twilight Realm!
- Engulfing Magic — The Engulfing Magic mirrors all damage and healing you do, inflicting Shadow damage equal to the damage or healing you do to allies within 10 yards of you for 20 seconds!
- Fabulous Flames — Spits flames on the ground, the Fabulous Flames inflict 10725 to 11275 Shadow damage every 1 sec.
- Dazzling Destruction — Causes swirling ground effects to appear, five seconds after appearing 487500 to 512500 shadow damage to every player within the blast zone, and knocks them into the Twilight Zone.
- Twilight Blast — The Twilight Blast inflicts 19500 to 20500 Shadow damage to enemies within 8 yards of the target.
When you enter the chamber, Valiona will be on the right and Theralion on the left. Valiona will start out fighting the raid while Theralion flies around, then they switch places periodically and repeat this process for the duration of the fight. Theralion's phase lasts somewhat longer than Valiona's.
Before each transition, the airborne dragon will cast an ability (Dazzling Destruction for Theralion, Deep Breath for Valiona) that transports those afflicted to the Twilight Realm, where Twilight Fiends can be found. Although both abilities can be avoided with relative ease, killing six Twilight Fiends is the objective of the achievement .
The fight has a hard enrage timer of ten minutes.
While Valiona is on the ground, positioning is a balancing act between spreading out for Theralion's Twilight Blasts but grouping up to minimize damage taken from Valion'as Blackout. When a party member receives Blackout, everyone can group up close behind the dragon, at which point the healer can safely remove the debuff. The party should then spread back out as quickly as possible.
When Valiona begins to cast Devouring Flames, she will turn to face the direction of the blast. Those within her cone of attack should run through her, or otherwise ensure they are not in front of her in order to avoid the damage. If you find yourself in a bad spot where running through Valiona may take too long, your best bet is to run farther away from her which will reduce the damage devouring flames does to you and may save you.
After two Blackouts, Theralion will cast Dazzling Destruction, which creates two large void zones three separate times in a row that do damage and transport those that stand in them to the Twilight Realm. He will insta-kill anyone left standing here after about 10 seconds. He will then land and Valiona takes off. Another Blackout will come during Dazzling Destruction.
During Theralion's phase, people need to group up to absorb the damage from Twilight Meteorite does while strafing to avoid Fabulous Flames and staying out of Deep Breath. Those affected by Engulfing Magic need to run away from the raid and keep healing/attacking, or simply stop any action until the debuff goes away.
There are different approaches to handling this phase, but usually people will mark someone to follow, or possibly split into groups (such as melee and ranged), so you can move together to avoid the fire while minimizing the damage from Twilight Meteorites. Alternatively, the raid can spread out and whoever is affected by Twilight Meteorite can run into the melee group to share the damage. This second method means less movement and potential damage lost due to Engulfing Magic, and requires less coordination, but potentially increases the burden on healers.
After two Engulfing Magics (about 120 seconds), Valiona will take a deep breath and fill one third of the room with flames. She will do this three times to different areas of the room, much like Felmyst in Sunwell Plateau, and the raid needs to move somewhere not affected by Deep Breath each time she begins to cast it. Once she is done, Valiona will land, Theralion will take off, and Phase 1 begins again.
- Cho'gall yells: Valiona, Theralion, put them in their place.
- Valiona yells: Do as the master commands, Theralion! Kill them!
- Theralion yells: The master was clearly speaking to you, Valiona. I am far too busy to attack ANYONE.
- Valiona yells: You are worthless, Theralion!
- Theralion yells: How dare you call me worthless! You will see why I am Mother's favored child!
- Dazzling Destruction
- You are not the boss of me Valiona! I will engulf as I please!
- There is no escape from the fury of the Twilight Flight!
- Killing a player
- Bare your soul to me, mortal.
- Engulfing Magic
- Writhe in AGONY!
- Theralion cackles maniacally.
- I knew I should have stayed out of this...
- Enter Twilight!
- Deep Breath
- Theralion! I will engulf the Hallway! Cover their escape!
- Killing a player
- Breathe your dying breath!
- At least Theralion dies with me...
- Cho'gall yells: (Come closer, closer. Let us see your faces. All will be humbled before his power.)
|()||Agility one-hand sword|
|()||Spirit cloth helm|
|()||Spirit mail belt|
|()||Tank plate helm|
|()||DPS caster trinket|
- During the Cataclysm beta, Theralion's voice was much more effeminate, which caused some controversy within playerbase, and Blizzard later decided to change it. However Valiona, retained her more masculine and raspy voice.
- World first heroic kill on 25-man achieved 1.1.2011 by DREAM Paragon of Lightining's Blade Europe.
- Cause and Effect, on screen guide, voice chat, low in game sound
- MrGelowe Post Patch 4.2
- Patch 4.1.0 (2011-04-26): Blackout can now be dispelled on Heroic difficulty.
- Hotfix (2011-03-16): "Valiona and Theralion overall damage and health has been reduced by roughly 10% on Heroic difficulty. In addition, Twilight Zone no longer increases damage taken from Rift Blast."
- Hotfix (2011-01-18): "Valiona's Blackout can no longer be absorbed by Grounding Totem or reflected. Its healing absorption effect has also been increased for 10-player normal difficulty."
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Added.