|Faction/Affiliation||Icemist (Horde), Independent|
|Character classes||Warrior, Hunter, Shaman|
|Racial capital||Formerly Icemist Village, now ruined|
|Area(s)||Borean Tundra, Dragonblight, Grizzly Hills, Howling Fjord|
|Primary language(s)||Taur-ahe (presumed)|
|Sources: Wrath of the Lich King|
The Taunka (a.k.a. winter tauren), ancient relatives of the tauren, were thought to be lost until re-discovered by Garrosh Hellscream and his orc forces upon their arrival to Northrend. Like their ancestral relations the Tauren, the Taunka are a hardy people who have given their allegiance to the Horde. They, like their distant cousins the tauren, are involved with the spirits of the land, though after living for so long in such a harsh environment as Northrend they tend to bully the elements rather than ask them to keep their region inhabitable. Although they appear similar to the tauren, they resemble bison more than cattle.
This tenacious, stoic race knows all too well the rigors of living in the harsh and often deadly wastes of Northrend. Over time, the taunka—whom many believe to be ancestral cousins of the tauren—have adapted, but only by forcing the land and the elements to yield to their will. The taunka's relationship with nature, unlike that of their tauren brethren, has been one of constant struggle and grim perseverance.
Although the taunka may seem dour or even cold to outsiders, those who come to know them will soon recognize an embattled race of survivors characterized by colossal hearts and unshakable resolve.
Taunka are clan-bound to be paired.
Most of the taunka camps are either destroyed, evacuating, or planning to evacuate. The only two exceptions to this are currently Oneqwah and Tunka'lo. Oneqwah is where the Camp Winterhoof taunka are evacuating to.
- Taunka'le Village (Borean Tundra): Currently being evacuated
- Camp Winterhoof (Howling Fjord): Planning to evacuate
- Camp Oneqwah (Grizzly Hills): Intact, taking in evacuees
- Icemist Village (Dragonblight): Capital, Destroyed, infested by undead Nerubians
- Westwind Refugee Camp (Dragonblight): Intact, refugees head here after evacuation
- Camp Tunka'lo (Storm Peaks): Intact, not planning to evacuate
- Roanauk Icemist- High Chieftain of the Taunka
- Chieftain Ashtotem- Chieftain of the Camp Winterhoof
- Tormak the Scarred- Chieftain of the Camp Oneqwah
- Chieftain Wintergale- Chieftain of Taunka'le Village
- Female taunka share the same model as that as the regular female tauren, but males have a different facial model to the male tauren.
- The term icemist tauren was introduced with the RPG and may have the same meaning as the term taunka. This could mean that the icemist tauren are the taunka or have become the taunka. This is further reinforced by the name of the Taunka's capital city, Icemist Village.
- The name "taunka" likely comes from the word "tatanka", the Lakota word for bison.
Vengeance Landing or New Agamand
Breadcrumb to Camp Winterhoof, you may only complete one...
Chieftain Ashtotem has:
While attacking Skorn, find a drop that begins:
While Dealing With Gjalerbron, find a drop that begins:
Greatmother Ankha has:
Longrunner Pembe has:
Sage Edan has:
Wind Tamer Kagan has: