Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza
|Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza|
The Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza is a grand event set along the coasts of Stranglethorn Vale. Early in the day, a friendly neighborhood dwarf/goblin will visit Ironforge and Orgrimmar respectively to inform aspiring anglers of the grand tournament and give instructions. At the appropriate time, the shout will ring out across Stranglethorn to bait your hooks and cast your lines!
Will you be the master fisherman that gathers the necessary amount of tastyfish to win the grand prize? Can you reel in the right fish to receive some of famous Nat Pagle's fabulous fishing equipment? Will the make its triumphant return onto the heads of anglers everywhere? You'll soon find out!
The Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza is a weekly fishing event held in Stranglethorn Vale. There is a highly competitive fishing contest and a more casual rare fish turn-in for this event.
When it happens
This event is held every Sunday from 2pm-4pm, which translates to:
- Starting at North American Pacific Standard Time (PST 2 p.m. or GMT -8 hours) for North American realms.
- Starting at Australian Eastern Standard Time (EST 2 p.m. or GMT +10 hours) for Oceanic realms.
The turn-in NPCs are available until PST/EST 5 p.m..
The competitive portion of the event
The first three winners will receive the achievement, and a reward choice depending on their placement.
The Grand Prize winner of the competition can pick their prize out of:
- - the best fishing pole currently in the game (for fishing), +40 Fishing Skill
- - a trinket that grants you a swim form
The Second Place winner can pick their prize out of:
How to catch Speckled Tastyfish
- Speckled Tastyfish can be fished from any Fishing pool anywhere in Stranglethorn Vale, but only during the two hours of the event.
- With your fishing pole equipped, face the school and cast.
- Your bobber must land inside the school in order to catch the event fish, so cast again each time the bobber lands outside of the circle.
- When you have caught 40 Speckled Tastyfish, turn them in immediately.
- A skill of at least 100 is highly recommended, however, so that you may learn Find Fish. With the ability, Fishing pool will appear on your minimap. Try to acquire a and learn the ability prior to the event. They can be found in trunks and chests fished from any school in Kalimdor or the Eastern Kingoms. Junk pools drop chests more often than fish pools, so these are a better source for the book if you are farming it.
- Practice fishing Fishing pools prior to your first Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza, so you know how the placement of the bobber in the circle works.
- Set your to the Booty Bay inn to expedite your turn-in.
- Bring assistance. Take turns on who assists/competes in a given week (but don't switch roles within a week during the competition.)
- Friends can spot Fishing pools for you.
- Stranglethorn Vale has level 31-40 mobs. Friends can help with this if you need help.
- You can deplete 'their' pool by fishing it.
- On a PvP server, the Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza is essentially a battleground. Ganking is a valid contest strategy. Come with many friends.
- Turn off your PvP flag for this event if you are not on a PvP server.
- If there's an announcement when there are winners, it's very difficult to notice when your eyes are locked on your bobber.
- But if you're at it for more than 20 minutes (Normal Realm) or ? minutes (PvP Realm), others have probably already won.
The non-competitive fish turn-ins
You can continue to fishing after all winners have been declared. You can safely fish all the way until 4pm; the NPCs for the turn-ins (Jang and the Fishbot 5000) will stay around for an hour after the tastyfish become unavailable.
- Even if you lose the competition, you can sell your Tastyfish to an NPC, Jang, in Booty Bay for certain amount of money for every 5 you catch.
- How much money you get depends on the level you are:
- Turn-in value can also vary based on your reputation with Booty Bay.
- Tastyfish only last for 4 hours, so don't bother trying to save them.
- There are rare fish you can also catch, which you can turn in to the Fishbot 5000 NPC for special rewards.
- These fish do not expire, and can be saved to be turned in during a future Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza.
Rare fish turn-in rewards
- Turn in a and receive - +5 Fishing Skill
- Turn in a and receive - +5 Fishing Skill
- Turn in a and receive - +5 Fishing Skill Enchantment to Fishing Pole
Rare fish that does not require a turn in
- Patch 5.1.0 (2012-11-27):
- The Stranglethorn Vale Fishing Extravaganza has returned every Sunday, but now allows three winners per tournament. It also offers competitors a chance to earn the rewards once offered by the Kalu’ak Fishing Derby.
- Speckled Tastyfish fishing pools no longer spawn during the tournament. Instead, Tastyfish can be caught from any fishing node in all parts of Stranglethorn Vale while the tournament is active. This includes inland nodes, and wreckage.
- Hotfix (2012-09-20): "The organizers of Azeroth's fishing tournaments have temporarily shut down their weekly affairs. Fishing tournaments will return soon."
- Patch 1.7.0 (2005-09-22): Added.