Tips and tactics
This skill is generally one of the warlock's most mana-efficient spells.
The long cast time makes it harder to use in PvP as the time spent casting it is time gained for an enemy player to tear you to pieces.
Commonly misspelled Soulfire by Blizzard.
- Patch 5.2.0 (2013-03-05): Now deals 22% more damage.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Now a Demonology specialization ability. Always critically strikes, damage increased by critical strike chance, and generates Demonic Fury. Now scales with 70% of spell power, down from 72.6%.
- Patch 4.3.0 (2011-11-29): Now scales with 72.6% of spell power, up from 62.5%.
- Hotfix (2010-11-23): "Soul Fire will no longer consume both Empowered Imp and Soulburn when they are active. It will consume Empowered Imp and leave Soulburn still active."
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Damage has been reduced by approximately 12%.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Now has a 40 yards range, up from 30 yards. Cast time reduced to 4 sec, down from 6 sec. Damage increased. Soulburn Effect - Instant cast.
- Patch 3.3.0 (2009-12-08): The talent Molten Core in the demonology tree, now has a chance to increase Soul Fire's damage by 6/12/18% and critical strike chance by 5/10/15% when your deals damage.
- Patch 3.1.0 (2009-04-14): Pyroclasm no longer provides a chance to stun the target as the talent itself was reworked, and Aftermath no longer gives a chance to daze the target, as the talent was reworked as well.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): removed the spell's cooldown.