- Shield Wall
- Level 48 warrior ability
- 3 min cooldown
- Requires Shields
- Reduces all damage taken by 40% for 12 sec.
|| [Bastion of Defense]
Shield Wall is a defensive Warrior self-buff that costs no Rage. When activated it reduces damage taken by 40% for 12 seconds. It has a 3 minute cooldown, and requires an equipped shield.
- As of Patch 4.2.0 Shield Wall no longer has a stance requirement, although it still requires a shield to be equipped.
- Shield wall is one of the most powerful forms of damage reduction in the game, and is very effective at keeping the warrior alive. In addition, shield wall does not drop aggro, so it allows a warrior to continue tanking, unlike [Hand of Protection].
- Shield Wall is a great panic button, and is useful when you just have to survive a little bit longer. Examples include an OOM healer, just a few adds too many, an enraged end-instance/Raid Boss, too many stacks of a debuff that reduces healing received, or a battleground flag run.
- [Glyph of Shield Wall] increases Shield Wall's damage reduction to 40%, but increases its cooldown by 2 minutes. This may improve Shield Wall's potential as a Panic button, but by increasing its cooldown makes it available less often.
- Alternatively, with a potential cooldown of just 2 minutes (with [Bastion of Defense]), Shield Wall can be used quite regularly, and as it is not on the global cooldown, can be added to your standard rotation without interruption. With a 2 minute cooldown, it is possible to use Shield Wall frequently while still reserving it for particularly large hits or troublesome encounters.
- Patch 5.3.0 (2013-05-21): Cooldown has been reduced to 3 minutes, down from 5 minutes.
- Patch 4.2.0 (2011-06-28): Retaliation, Recklessness and Shield Wall no longer have stance requirements.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Shield Wall now reduces all damage taken by 50% for 12 seconds, cooldown reduced to 5 minutes. Shield Wall is no longer linked to [Recklessness] or [Retaliation].
- Patch 1.7.0 (2005-09-22): Shield Wall will no longer be canceled if you switch stances while the effect is active.