- Level 24 Shadow priest ability
- 2% of base mana
- 1.5 sec cooldown
- Instant cast
- Assume a Shadowform, increasing your Shadow damage by 25%, reducing all damage done to you by 15%, and increasing all party and raid members spell haste by 5%. However, you may not cast Holy spells while in this form.
|| [Glyph of Dark Binding], [Glyph of Shadow]
- "I draw deep from the shadows to slake my thirst for power. I'm never thirsty for long."
Shadowform is a Shadow priest ability, gained at level 24. When used, It causes the priest to assume a Shadowform, increasing Shadow damage dealt by 25%, reducing all damage taken by 15% and increasing all party and raid members' spell haste by 5%. However, priests in Shadowform are unable to cast spells from the Holy tree, limiting their options and further emphasising the separation between Shadow priests and their Holy brethren.
- Shadowform does not lock the Holy school, but only the Holy tree. That is the reason why Holy spells from the Discipline tree, such as [Power Word: Shield], can still be cast without removing Shadowform.
- [Glyph of Dark Binding] allows priests to cast certain Holy spells while in Shadowform. This can allow a Shadow priest to heal themselves or their teammates without leaving Shadowform, saving the loss of damage and damage mitigation, as well as time spent resuming Shadowform.
- While in Shadowform, attempting to use an ability that may not be used while in Shadowform will cause you to leave it in order to use that ability. This function can be disabled with the command: /console autoUnshift 0
- The character looks translucent black while in Shadowform. While mounted, the priest's mount also gains this appearance. If you are on a mount that allows passengers, the passengers also will take shadowform so long as they are onboard.
- The Shadowform buff does affect Shadow spells from the Discipline tree and shadow-elemental wands.
- Normally a Priest who uses this spell is considered a Shadow Priest.
- The form will extend to whatever mount you are riding, and the equipment you wear. Some players dislike this as hard-fought for armor and mounts are simply shadow unless the ability is turned off. [Glyph of Shadow] can be chosen to reduce your translucency when in Shadowform.
Appearance-altering actions that take place while in Shadowform (such as being poisoned or diseased) will alter the character's appearance until Shadowform is dropped and reassumed.
- Patch 5.2.0 (2013-03-05): Now increases the Priest's Shadow damage by 25% (was 20%).
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Bonus to shadow damage done increased from 15% to 20%.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): No longer reduces threat by 30%. Also, [Cure Disease] can no longer be cast in Shadowform.
- Patch 3.3.0 (2009-12-08): This talent also now causes Devouring Plague and Vampiric Touch to benefit from haste. Both the period length and the duration of these spells will be reduced by haste. In addition, the mana cost has been reduced from 32% to 13% of base mana.
- Patch 3.1.0 (2009-04-14): Now reduces all damage taken by 15%, not just physical damage. Bonus damage from critical strike chance removed and replaced by the ability of those periodic damage spells to generate critical strikes.
- Patch 3.0.8 (2009-01-20): [Abolish Disease] and [Cure Disease] can now be cast while in Shadowform.
- Patch 3.0.8 (2009-01-20): You can now shift into Shadowform while mounted or sitting.
- Patch 2.1.0 (2007-05-22):
- Patch 1.7.0 (2005-09-22): Switching to Shadowform no longer cancels Holy buffs on a priest.
- Patch 1.6.0 (2005-07-12): Changed so all spells except Holy can be cast rather than only Shadow and Discipline spells. Tooltip updated. This fixes several bugs that prevented various actions (creating tradeskill items, mining, summoning a mount, using a hearthstone and many more).
- Patch 1.3.0 (2005-03-07): Priests can now use scrolls and the [Heart of Noxxion] while in Shadowform.