Shadow Word: Pain
- "SWP" redirects here. For the raid instance, see Sunwell Plateau.
|Shadow Word: Pain|
- "Your pain is my pleasure." — Omedus the Punisher 
- This spell envelopes a target briefly in a cloud of dark energy conjured from the netherworld. 
Shadow Word: Pain is a Shadow Word - a Shadow-based damage over time Priest spell with a direct damage component. It deals damage over 18 seconds, and a smaller amount (equal to a single tick) instantly.
- Like all damage over time spells, sufficient haste will cause Shadow Word: Pain to grant extra ticks.
- Shadow Word: Pain receives 29.3% spell power.
- The level 70 2-piece set bonus extends the spell's duration by 3 seconds, adding at least one tick.
Tips and tactics
Shadow priests use Shadow Word: Pain (SW:P) as one of their key DoTs, with improving its damage considerably. As an instant cast DoT which does not consume , it can also be useful for preventing rogues from stealthing and dealing damage while on the move.
Unlike most DoTs, Shadow Word: Pain has an initial direct damage component that will interrupt flag captures and similar processes, making it highly useful for this purpose. This makes SW:P the shadow priest's only instant spammable direct damage ability.
Although costly and time-consuming, in mobile situations such as when chasing a fleeing target, the direct damage generated by repeatedly casting SW:P on the target will deal damage more quickly than simply allowing SW:P to tick.
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2013-03-12): "Shadow Word: Pain now deals 25% less damage."
- Hotfix (2013-03-05): "Shadow Word: Pain now deals 25% more damage."
- Hotfix (2012-09-14): "Shadow Word: Pain should now interrupt flag captures and other similar processes with its initial damage (but not its periodic damage over time)."
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Now also deals damage instantly in addition to the DoT.
- Patch 4.2.0 (2011-06-28): Shadow Word: Pain damage done has been decreased by 12%.