Raptors are one of the most iconic beasts of the Warcraft universe and can be found both in Azeroth and Outland. This article is about the reptillian kind of raptor. For the most notable kind of avian raptor, see Dragonhawk.
Raptors are large, aggressive theropods (this means, they stand upright on two large hind legs in a bird-like fashion). Raptors are found in Durotar, the Barrens, Wailing Caverns, Wetlands, Arathi Highlands, Un'Goro Crater, Stranglethorn Vale, and Dustwallow Marsh. Raptors seem to be very intelligent for beasts. They wear feathers and beads, and in the Barrens (where the smartest raptors are said to dwell) they have a settlement of mud huts decorated with bone ornaments called Raptor Grounds.
Raptors come in many colors, from green-striped red to yellow-striped turquoise. A raptor’s tail extends straight out, held aloft by an intricate structure of bony supports, thus allowing its weight to be carried entirely by the back legs. Raptors weigh about 600 pounds and use a combination of speed, grasping forearms, large teeth, and hind legs with ripping talons. They hunt by running at prey, leaping, and ripping with their rear talons as they claw and bite. A raptor has a relatively large brain for a dinosaur, and its pack hunts with cunning tactics.
Since the dawn of the trolls they have hunted with raptors and used a variety of raptors as a mounts. A troll and his raptor are more than just friendship - it is a bound of blood as each is needing the other. Usually it takes many years to form this kind of bond.. The savage ferocity of Kalimdor's raptors has enthralled the Darkspear trolls since their arrival. They consider a raptor to be the truest form of a hunter, and as such, the tamed is their mount of choice. A tamed raptor is truly a fearsome beast, as a skilled troll is able to channel the reptilian steed's savagery to suit the rider's will. A tamed raptor is also one of the most auspicious signs of status amongst the trolls; many have died trying to tame these swift and deadly hunter beasts, and to possess one indicates great station.
In World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade, Outland is inhabited by another type of raptor found in the Netherstorm and Blade's Edge Mountains. Their coloration and body shape is quite different from the raptors of Azeroth, as they feature very bright coloration, glowing eyes, and sharp spikes ridging their spine and tail.
Raptors have a few common variations:
- Screechers - often call for aid when low on health.
- Razormaws or scythemaws - inflict bleed or poisonous effects on their enemies.
- Lashtails or Taillashers - are physically strong and can knock enemies down.
- Scytheclaws - have especially sharp claws
- Stalkers - usually found sneaking around prey
- Bloodfen - Particularly nasty, red-skinned raptors native to Dustwallow Marsh.
- Bloodtalon - Native to Durotar and found in Normal, Taillasher and Scythemaw variations.
- Daggermaw - Native to Blade's Edge Mountains.
- Highland - Orange-skinned raptors native to the Arathi Highlands
- Lashtail - Native to Northern Stranglethorn.
- Mottled - Blue and purple raptors native to the Wetlands.
- Ravasaur - Large, social raptors dwelling in the Un'Goro Crater.
- Scythetooth - Native to Netherstorm.
- Spiny - Native to The Lost Isles
- Sunscale - Highly intelligent raptors living in the Northern Barrens. They form communities, even building primitive structures, and are known to steal silver.
- Teraptor - Native to The Lost Isles
- Terrortooth - Red-skinned raptors native to Southern Barrens.
- Deviate - Corrupted Terrortooth raptors living in and around the Wailing Caverns.
- Wild raptors come in various colors ranging from pink to turquoise.
- Raptors more closely resemble the fictionalized dinosaur of Jurassic Park fame in both shape and intellect rather than actual Velociraptors, though wild ones are more sleek than mounts.
- Level 20 riding raptors are larger than wild raptors, have a large horn protruding horizontally from their forehead and have small fins growing from the tops of their head and hips.
- Epic riding raptors are slightly larger than level 20 riding raptors and are usually decorated with colorful armor and feathers.
As a hunter pet
- Raptors come in a wide variety of bright colors, making them popular to use. Raptors have the special ability , which can serve as a substitute for abilities like .
- Troll hunters will start with a Raptor as a pet.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Ability changes.
- Patch 3.1.0 (2009-04-14): Bonuses equalized.
- Damage had a +10% bonus and now has +5% bonus.
Armor had no bonus and now has a +5% bonus.
- Damage had a +10% bonus and now has +5% bonus.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Major changes.
- Patch 2.2.0 (2007-09-25): Dash is trainable on all raptors.
As non-combat pets
- Main article: Raptor Hatchling
Introduced in patch 3.2, there are 8 new Raptor Mini-Pets. Most of then are fairly hard to obtain. The following list has their name and the location they are obtained in. Note that the mobs marked as rare have a 100% drop rate, but are obtained from rare spawn mobs.
- - Looted from Dart's Nest - Dustwallow Marsh
- - Dropped by Deviate Guardian, Deviate Ravager (0.1% Drop Rate) - Wailing Caverns
- - Dropped by Gundrak Raptor (0.1% Drop Rate) - Zul'Drak
- - Looted from Takk's Nest - The Barrens
- - Sold by Breanni (Unlimited Supply - 50) - Dalaran
- - Looted from Ravasaur Matriarch's Nest - Un'Goro Crater
- - Looted from Razormaw Matriarch's Nest - Wetlands
- - Dropped by Razzashi Raptor (1% Drop Rate)- Zul'Gurub
Raptors as mounts
- Main article: Raptor mounts
Raptor are sold by Zjolnir located in south durotar by Sen'jin Village. Samamba the Sen'jin Quartermaster in Icecrown also sells two unique Raptors. There are also several rare raptors all over Azeroth.
|Mount Name||Availability||Required riding skill||Required Level|
|Little Ivory Raptor||Loot card||Riding (75)||20|
|Emerald Raptor||1||Riding (75)||20|
|Turquoise Raptor||1||Riding (75)||20|
|Violet Raptor||1||Riding (75)||20|
|Swift Blue Raptor||10||Riding (150)||40|
|Swift Olive Raptor||10||Riding (150)||40|
|Swift Orange Raptor||10||Riding (150)||40|
|Black War Raptor||PVP||Riding (150)||40|
|Darkspear Raptor||100||Riding (150)||40|
|Swift Purple Raptor||5 500||Riding (150)||40|
|Swift Razzashi Raptor||Bloodlord Mandokir||Riding (150)||40|
|Venomhide Ravasaur||Mor'vek||Riding (150)||53|
|Ivory Raptor||No Longer Attainable||Riding (150)||40|
|Mottled Red Raptor||No Longer Attainable||Riding (150)||40|