- Level 10 Fire mage ability
- 40 yd range
- 5 % of base mana
- 3.5 sec cast
- Hurls an immense fiery boulder that causes X (+ 220% of spell power) Fire damage and an additional Y (+ 36% of spell power) Fire damage over 18 sec.
Getting two single-target direct-damage Fire critical strikes in a row will make your next Pyroblast instant cast, cost no mana, and deal 25% additional damage.
Pyroblast is a mage spell, acquired by specializing in the Fire tree. It deals massive fire damage with a large direct damage portion, followed by a DoT portion. It can deal more single-target damage than any other mage spell, but at a higher cast time.
Tips and tactics
- Due to the somewhat long cast time, this can be used to open battles when soloing. This is one of the few things a fire mage can do to improve his mana efficiency; this spell has better DPM than [Fireball] but a longer cast time. Use of Pyroblast in a group is not recommended unless the tank has sufficient threat.
- Polymorph/Pyroblast: The standard opener of anyone who knows Polymorph, this tactic is mostly seen in PvP. It works exactly as described: Polymorph the target, then cast Pyroblast. You Polymorph first so that the target cannot deal damage or interrupt you while you cast. Keep in mind that in PvP, many people will use various abilities to prevent Polymorph, so be ready to recast it. This is also useful in PvE questing where you pull two mobs: open on one mob with Pyroblast as normal, Polymorph the additional mob, finish off the first mob, and opened on the sheeped second mob with Pyroblast.
- Main article: Three-minute mage
Prior to patch patch 3.0.9, this spell was part of a technique called the "three-minute mage". It combined the three spells Pyroblast, Presence of Mind and [Arcane Power] into an instant attack that dealt massive damage. It was famous as a nuking trick, often used in PvP. 3.0.9 caused Presence of Mind and Arcane Power to share cooldown, which somewhat softened this technique down. With the new talent system in 4.0.1, it has been completely removed from the game.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 5.2.0 (2013-03-05): Direct damage reduced by 10%.
- Hotfix (2012-09-14): "Pyroblast and Combustion should combine to do the expected amount of damage and critical damage."
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): DoT duration increased from 12 to 18 sec, and is now considered a Magic effect. Casting two single-target direct-damage Fire critical strikes in a row will make your next Pyroblast instant cast, cost no mana, and deal 25% additional damage.
- Patch 4.3.2 (2012-01-31): Pyroblast damage has been reduced by roughly 6%.
- Patch 4.3.0 (2011-11-29): Initial damage has been increased by approximately 26%, and damage over time has been increased by approximately 100%.
- Patch 4.2.0 (2011-06-28): Pyroblast cast when [Hot Streak] is not active was doing slightly less damage than the Hot Streak version. Its damage has been increased so that both versions of Pyroblast now do the same amount of damage.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Base mana cost is now 17%, down from 22%.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Moved from Tier 3 to being a specialization ability. No longer uses spell ranks.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Cast time has been reduced to 5 seconds.
- Patch 1.11.0 (2006-06-20): Cooldown removed.
- Patch 1.4.0 (2005-05-05): Pyroblast and Fireball damage over time will now stack together.