Prayer of Healing is the main Discipline and Holy priest AoE healing spell. It heals party members within 30 yards of the friendly target for a small amount.
Notes and tips
- Prayer of Healing has a spell power coefficient of 67.1% per target.
- An additional benefit to using an AoE heal such as Prayer of Healing, rather than healing multiple targets individually, is the convenience and lack of time lost selecting each target. AoE healing may therefore be preferred even when not the most mana efficient option.
- As Prayer of Healing only heals for a small amount, it is useful for avoiding overheals (and so conserving mana) when multiple targets need 'topping up'.
- When the targets will not survive long enough to allow Prayer of Healing to be cast, Holy priests can cast [Circle of Healing] - as well as being instant cast it offers a significantly higher HPS. The priest can then follow up with Prayer of Healing.
- Without improvements, [Circle of Healing] is around 5% more efficient than Prayer of Healing, far faster, and has a 10 second cooldown.
- While Prayer of Healing only has a healing radius of 30 yards, it has a cast range of 40 yards.
- The area of effect is centered on the target, not on you, so it can heal players up to 70 yards away from you. This allows you to heal players that would otherwise be out of reach.
- Line of sight is only checked on the target, not on other players receiving the healing. This is useful in arenas and if a boss locks you out of its room. In such situations, cast it on yourself.
- Prayer of Healing can be used in conjunction with [Inner Focus], reducing its mana cost by 25% and increasing its crit chance by 100%.
- [Inner Focus]: Reduces the mana cost of your next Flash Heal, Greater Heal or Prayer of Healing by 25% and increases its critical effect chance by 100%.
- [Divine Aegis] causes crits and all heals from Prayer of Healing to create a protective shield on the target, 30% of the amount healed, lasting 15 seconds.
- The Discipline Mastery [Shield Discipline] increases the absorb effects produced by Divine Aegis by 20%, and an additional 2.5% per point of Mastery, significantly increasing their contribution to Prayer of Healing.
- The Chakra state [Chakra: Sanctuary] increases healing done by 25%.
- [Serendipity] potentially reduces the cast time of Prayer of Healing by 40% and its mana cost by 20%.
Like all AoE healing spells, Prayer of Healing's mana efficiency depends upon the number of targets healed. Only when sufficient numbers of players are in need of healing does the spell become an efficient option, and this number varies significantly depending on the priest's spec, stats, etc. Factors such as Holy priests' Chakra state, stacks of [Serendipity], etc, can also change Prayer of Healing's efficiency and desirability even when all other factors remain the same.
Not only passives and talents affecting Prayer of Healing (PoH) are involved in estimating its efficiency; those affecting direct heal options such as [Flash Heal] and [Greater Heal], by improving these abilities, effectively increase the number of targets required to make PoH the best option. Passives that add additional effects to direct heals may further incline the priest to heal targets individually with these spells even when PoH would be a more mana efficient option.
In practice the time efficiency (HPS) and convenience of using Prayer of Healing will cause many priests to use it even when it is not one of the most mana efficient options. When Prayer of Healing is the most mana efficient option, it makes sense to use it even when time is not a factor.
- Hotfix (2013-03-27): "For Discipline Priests with Divine Aegis, Prayer of Healing criticals should now heal for the correct amount."
- Hotfix (2012-10-12): "Now provides 25% more healing."
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Now a Holy and Discipline specialization ability.
- Patch 4.0.6 (2011-02-08): Effectiveness has been reduced by 15%.
- Hotfix (2010-11-23): "Prayer of Healing is now properly healing all of the target's party members, unless they are further than 30 yards away."
- Patch 3.2.0 (2009-08-04): The percentage of spell power this spell gains in healing (per target) has been reduced from 80.7% to 52.6%.
- Patch 3.1.0 (2009-04-14): This spell now heals the target's party, rather than being limited to just your direct party.