|This article or section contains information that is out-of-date.
- "The shortest distance between two points is one incantation." - Blaize Brightspark
|Exodar ||42||1 65|
|Thunder Bluff||42||1 65|
|Dalaran||74||14 93 33|
|Tol Barad||85||28 20|
|Vale of Eternal Blossoms||90||35|
- ^ a b c Exodar, Silvermoon, and Shattrath are only available to players with the Burning Crusade expansion installed.
- ^ Dalaran is only available to players with the Wrath of the Lich King expansion installed.
- ^ Tol Barad is only available to players with the Cataclysm expansion installed.
- ^ Vale of Eternal Blossoms is only available to players with the Mists of Pandaria expansion installed.
Non-Mage Portal Spell
There are currently three portal spells not exclusive to mages.
|Grim Guzzler||None||55||Requires ; 1 hour cooldown|
|Karazhan||None||60||Requires ; 1 minute cooldown|
|Dalaran||None||80||Requires ; 1 hour cooldown|
There was also an item that opened a portal to the heart of Maraudon - , but it could only be used on an altar just before entering the instance. The portal ability was phased out in Patch 3.0.8, and replaced with weapon stats.
Each Portal spell is trained at a portal trainer, which is usually located near the mage trainers in a major city. In Shattrath the portal trainer is located in the center of the city, near the Silvermoon and Exodar city portals. There is also a trainer in Scryers Tier, although the portal location remains the same no matter where it is learned. In Theramore the portal trainer is located in the tower where Jaina resides.
After casting, a portal will appear roughly 5 yards in front of the mage. The shimmering portal looks different for each capital city, giving a glimpse of the city in the center of the portal. The portal lasts for 1 minute.
To use the portal, the mage and his group members must right click the portal. Group members are not required to enter the portal. Any player, including the mage, may elect to stay behind by not clicking on the portal.
You will appear in the capital city near the portal trainer of that city. In Stormwind, for example, you appear inside the mage tower at the center of the Mage Quarter.
You cannot learn the portal spells of the opposing faction.
Portal cannot be cast in combat. In addition, portals cannot be cast inside PvP battlegrounds.
Tips and tactics
It is not possible to create a portal in combat, but it is possible to enter one at any time.
If creating a portal in hostile territory, the mage should wait until all members of the party have used the portal. If the mage clicks too soon, they run the risk of leaving someone behind.
It is possible for a mage to stack his portals, such that it is very difficult for the players taking the portals to know where they will end up. This is commonly known as "portal roulette".
While most mages will offer portals for partymates at the end of quest, runs, etc., to ask for one outside of this should be approached tactfully.
Here are a few guidelines to keep in mind.
- When asking (especially on Trade) make sure you say where you are currently (or where you will be).
- If a mage is coming from a different city, it's much easier if they can meet you at the teleport points (that's where they will arrive). Learn where they are and be standing there when you ask.
- You will only be able to use the portal if you're in the same party as the mage. If you're in one, have the leader send the invite, or drop party to get portaled.
- Reagents cost money. Not much, true, but there's also a time element, and the fact that they are dropping what they are doing to help you. The minimum you should offer is 1g, 2-3g if they have to travel to you. You'll spend a good percent of that amount just to take taxis if you were getting there on your own anyway. Announce the amount you're offering when you ask for the teleport.
- If you can't afford a "proper" payment, simply buy a Rune of Portals (and Rune of Teleportation if they travel to you).
- Make sure you know the level required to create the portal where you need to go before you ask directly. Stonard and Theramore are available at 35. Most of the Azeroth cities are available at 40 (except Thunder Bluff and Darnassus, which are 50),Shattrath is 65 and finally Dalaran at 74.
- As with any service offered by another player, any buffs you can do is always a very nice and polite gesture.
Following these fairly simple guidelines will help you get along with your fellow players, and it makes people remember you.
- Patch 5.3.0 (2013-05-21): : Vale of Eternal Blossoms and Portal: Vale of Eternal Blossoms now have new icons.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Reagent requirement removed.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Tol Barad portal added.
- Patch 2.4.2 (2008-05-13): Stonard and Theramore portals added.
- Patch 1.1.0 (2004-11-07): Now requires a reagent.