|Mana Tide Totem
- Mana Tide Totem
- Level 56 Restoration shaman ability
- 3 min cooldown
- Instant cast
- Summons a Mana Tide Totem with 10% of the caster's health at the feet of the caster for 12 sec. Party members within 40 yards of the totem have their Spirit increased by 200% of the caster's Spirit (excluding short - duration Spirit bonuses).
- As the energy flowed into him, Phadalus heard the faint crashing of waves against the shore.
Mana Tide Totem is a Restoration shaman totem that increases the spirit of party members within 40 yards by 200% of the shaman's spirit for 12 sec. Due to how [Meditation] works, this means it will restore mana to healers, but not to anyone else.
Mana Tide Totem is a Water totem, and thus cannot be used at the same time as another water totem. Unlike other shaman totems, Mana Tide Totem inherits 10% of the shaman's health, but is still easily targeted and destroyed. It sends out a pulsing animation every second while active, drawing attention to it in PvP. The totem is somewhat unintuitive in how it calculates the spirit bonus. Very powerful spirit buffs like those from on-use trinket are not included, but stacking trinkets like [Darkmoon Card: Tsunami] and [Jar of Ancient Remedies] are. Some spirit procs, most notably [Enchant Weapon - Heartsong] and [Darkglow Embroidery], also work with Mana Tide. The four piece bonus from Vestments of the Raging Elements also works with Mana Tide, as does spirit gained from flasks and elixirs.
In previous expansions, Mana Tide Totem returned at first a fixed amount of mana, then a percentage of your maximum mana. In Cataclysm it was changed to a spirit increase, meaning that non-healers no longer gain any mana at all from the totem. This means that in a normal five man group, the casting shaman will be the only one to benefit. In raids, however, the totem will restore mana to every healer, making it a very powerful mana regeneration ability, especially in 25 man raids.
Tips and tactics
- Mana Tide Totem effectively increases your spirit by 19% over the course of a long fight. This means that the value of spirit is increased somewhat, but outside of 25 man raids it is still significantly inferior to intellect. This spell alone is not good enough to make spirit flasks worth using.
- If you know a fight will last four minutes or more, using Mana Tide Totem early will let you use it again a second time. It is generally a good idea to use the totem when you are around 70% mana, rather than waiting.
- The short cooldown means you can use Mana Tide on trash pulls to reduce the need for drinking, and still have it ready again before the next boss fight.
- When using Mana Tide Totem in a raid, try to ensure that the other healers will be in range of it.
- Patch 4.0.6 (2011-02-08): Has been redesigned. The totem no longer multiplies the Spirit of those affected by it. It instead gives a flat amount of Spirit equal to 400% of the casting shaman's Spirit, exclusive of short-term Spirit buffs affecting the shaman when the totem is dropped. In addition, its effects are now raid-wide.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Radius increased from 30 to 40 yd. Changed from restoring 6% of total mana to every target each 3 sec to increasing Spirit by 350%.
- Patch 3.2.0 (2009-08-04): Totem health now equal to 10% of the shaman's health.
- Patch 2.1.0 (2007-05-22): This totem will no longer sometimes grant mana after it has been destroyed. It will also consistently grant mana 4 times instead of sometimes 3 and sometimes 5.