|Level||?? Beast (Boss)|
|Location||Magmaw's Fissure, Blackwing Descent|
Magmaw is a colossal lava worm summoned from the Firelands centuries ago by Ragnaros' Dark Iron servitors. Nefarian largely considered Magmaw a worrisome pest, but has grown fond of feeding the beast his failed experiments... and servants.
- Mangle — Deals 110464 to 128377 damage every 5 seconds. Target will be mangled lifeless after 30 sec. Used on current tank. Completely wipes the tank's aggro.
- Magma Spit — Inflicts 39375 to 50625 Fire damage to random enemy targets.
- Molten Tantrum — With nobody nearby to attack, Magmaw goes into a frenzy. Increases Fire damage dealt by 100%. Stacks 10 times.
- Lava Spew — Deals 31450 to 36550 Fire damage per second for three seconds to all players within 60 yards.
- Parasitic Infection — Deals 12025 to 13975 damage every 2 seconds. Infectious lava parasites burrow inside of you and multiply in the cool linings of your entrails. Triggers Infectious Vomit after 10 seconds.
- Ignition — Ignites the ground in multiple directions, causing 23125 to 26875 Fire damage per second.
- Pillar of Flame — Hurls a burst of boiling magma at an enemy, blasting them for 24375 to 25625 damage and sundering the ground. After a brief pause, deals 115625 to 134375 Fire damage and a knockback to enemies near the sundered ground and summons numerous Lava Parasites.
- Infectious Vomit — Deals 39000 to 41000 damage to all friends within 8 yards, and expels Lava Parasites.
When Magmaw slumps forward multiple players can jump on his head and use constricting chains to impale him on the spike in the room causing him to be debuffed with point of vulnerability. Magmaw will break free of just one chain.
- Constricting Chains — Encases the targets in chains, dealing 18500 to 21500 Physical damage every 1 sec. and stunning the target for 5 sec.
- Point of Vulnerability — The tender backside of Magmaw's head is exposed! Damage dealt to this area is increased 100%. Health is shared between head and body.
On heroic difficulty Blazing Animated Skeletons will be summoned by Lord Victor Nefarius.
At all times keep the ranged & healers in one tight bunch, at distance from the boss
Designate two ranged/healer spots that will be used alternately as needed throughout P1. Far enough apart to give you room to deal with worms, but not needlessly far because of time lost running. 20ish yards apart should do it.
- Move the raid from one spot to another when Pillar of Flame is casting
- Worms will spawn from the Pillar of Flame location. It is a good idea to have traps in place to slow them right from the start.
- Kite worms around the raid and kill them. Misdirecting to a tank doing the kiting is useful. Using knockbacks is useful. The kiter should keep 8+ yards away from everyone else since being reached by a worm causes AoE damage (will show up as friendly fire). You can Also assign 2 spots in the room for the range to run back and forth between after a pillar of flame and drop traps and AoE slows on the worms as you switch spots and AoE them down as the all head towards the raid in a easy to kill clumped up group.
This phase is more about surviving and killing worms than anything else. You do not want to have worms alive in P2.
- Magmaw covers half the room in fire (Ignition). Don't stand in it. The firey area is also where he will slump down shortly, stunning and damaging people straggling behind.
- The tank will be picked up and be Mangled until the head is pinned down. Cooldowns can be used while Mangled, and Blessing of Protection does negate the damage.
- Heal the tank being mangled.
- The off tank should taunt Magmaw as soon as the main tank gets Mangled. This will prevent Magmaw from meleeing healers or DPS while the main tank is in his mouth.
- When "Magmaw slumps forward, exposing his pincers!", have melee players pin the head down (using chains) quickly. To do this, right-click Magmaw as if entering a vehicle. One action will be available, which causes a targeting circle to appear on the ground below the cursor. Target the spike in the middle of the floor to attach the chain to the spike and pull Magmaw down onto it.
- When the head is pinned down, you see "Magmaw becomes impaled on the spike, exposing his head!" and Phase 2 begins.
The tank will receive the armor debuff a after being freed, so a new tank is needed for the next P1.
This phase is about DPS for dpsers, and regenerating mana for healers.
Magmaw will take double damage.
- DPS hard
- Healers regenerate mana
- Aggro resets completely, watch it.
- Remember to use a different tank from the previous P1 as that tank will be debuffed.
Single Tank tactics
It is possible to single-tank this fight, provided your healers are sufficiently geared and your tank knows what to do:
- Aggro reset is only on the tank when he is mangled, and the 2/3 people who do the chains.
- The tank MUST taunt during mangle and perform as many high threat ranged attacks during mangle as possible (as well as using damage mitigation CDs - particularly on the 2nd and any subsequent mangles as you will be 50% armour reduction debuffed during latter mangles)
- If the tank fails to taunt during mangle, healers and melee will be single shotted during the P2->P1 transition, leading to a wipe.
Magmaw uses everything from normal mode (and hurts more, of course), with the following additions:
- Meteors are summoned that spawn fire that tracks the nearest person.
- The meteors also spawn Constructs that need to be tanked and killed. At 20% health, they start casting an explosion spell that hurts a lot. They need to be killed before the cast finishes.
You probably want to deal with all of this by putting the majority of the raid in melee range, and leaving a tank + a healer + maybe one more ranged dps out on the floor, so that they get targetted by Flame Pillar and the meteors. The tank spends the majority of his time kiting parasites.
The Constructs also need to be tanked. You can either use a fourth tank for this, or the currently-inactive (debuffed) tank, but of course that hurts a bit more.
There is also a final "burn phase" that starts at 30% health. Nefarian starts casting splash damage spells at the raid so you need to spread out to avoid instant death.
- Lord Victor Nefarius yells: I found this fascinating speciman in the lava underneath this very room. Magmaw should provide an adequate challenge for your pathetic little band!
- Low health
- Lord Victor Nefarius yells: INCONCEIVEABLE! You may actually defeat my lava worm! Perhaps I can help... TIP the scales.
- Lord Victor Nefarius yells: On second thought, what fun is an adequate challenge?
- Death on normal difficulty
- Lord Victor Nefarius yells: Finally someone to deal with that unsightly pest! You have my thanks, "heroes."
- Death on heroic difficulty
- Lord Victor Nefarius yells: You won! How... disappointing. I could've easily watched you all continue to stand in the fire.
- OMFGcata Strategy Guide - 1080p
- Cause and Effect, on screen guide, voice chat, low in game sound
- MrGelowe Post 4.2 Patch
World first heroic kill on 25-man achieved 29.12.2010 by Method of Xavius Europe.
- Patch 4.2.0 (2011-06-28):
- Damage and hit points have been reduced by 20%.
- Lava Parasites have been diminished.
- Lava Spew damage, Magma Spit damage, Massive Crash damage, and Infectious Vomit damage have all been been reduced.
- Mangled Lifeless no longer instantly kills, and its damage has been reduced.
- Parasitic Infection has been decreased.
- Patch 4.1.0 (2011-04-26): Magmaw now triggers a raid emote when summoning Lava Parasites.
- Hotfix (2011-03-16): "Magmaw overall damage and health was a little too high on all difficulties and has been reduced slightly. In addition, on Heroic difficulty, Nefarian will now prefer ranged targets when spawning Blazing Bone Constructs."
- Hotfix (2010-12-21): "Chimaeron will not cast Caustic Slime on Feral tanks in Bear Form unless there aren't enough non-tank specialized targets available. This fix applies to Magmaw's targeting functionality as well."
- Hotfix (2010-12-21): "
- Magmaw's Pillar of Flame now prefers targets further than 15 yards away for Lava Parasites and will not be cast more than once per 30 seconds.
- Lava Parasites now only apply their melee attack proc to players who are targeted. Lava Parasites are functioning normally and cannot infest a player with more than 3 Parasite debuffs active. Snared Lava Parasites will function like other creatures and switch to a nearby target if it becomes available, making them a viable target for Infestation."
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Added.