- Shamans know that lightning can strike twice in the same place.
Lightning Bolt is a Nature-based direct damage shaman spell, and is the first spell shamans learn. It is the only spammable damage spell for the shaman and one of the primary damage spells for elemental shamans.
- Lightning Bolt's range is only 30 yd, however the [Elemental Reach] passive for Elemental shamans increases it to 40 yd.
- Has traveling time, so can be combined with [Chain Lightning] or a Shock which are instant for spike damage.
- Lightning Bolt's spell power coefficient is greater than that of [Chain Lightning]. While its maximum damage is initially less than that of the first strike of Chain Lightning, it draws level at approximately 2071 spell power (less if Lightning Bolt is glyphed). Beyond this amount, therefore, Lightning Bolt causes more damage than Chain Lightning to a single target. However, Chain Lightning's shorter cast time prevents Lightning Bolt from ever achieving higher DPS.
- As of Patch 4.2 the [Glyph of Unleashed Lightning] allows you to cast it while moving which is very useful in all parts of the game, especially it's a must have glyph in PvP. However with [Spiritwalker's Grace] the effect is the same, so you will be able to cast Lightning Bolt and other non-instant Shaman spells while moving, but just for a short period of time.
Tips and tactics
- This is a good spell to start the fight and pull enemies until level 34 when you can learn [Lava Burst]. Used against a foe with no speed boosting abilities at max range, you can cast 3 Lightning Bolts in the span of time it takes for a mob to reach you. You can even cast a shock just as the 3rd Lightning Bolt finishes casting to max out damage against a pulled, incoming mob.
- It is also more likely to use during combat because of its 2.5 second casting time as opposed to other classes' similar function spells ( [Shadow Bolt], [Fireball]), and is fairly mana-efficient.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 5.3.0 (2013-05-21): Lightning Bolt can now be cast while moving.
- Hotfix (2012-09-20): "Lightning Bolt damage has been increased by approximately 8%. This also applies to Overload Lightning Bolt and Echo of the Elements Lightning Bolt."
- Patch 4.3.0 (2011-11-29): Lightning Bolt has a new spell effect.
- Patch 2.3.0 (2007-11-13): cast time reduced to 2.5 (from 3.0 where applicable), mana costs reduced, benefit from spell damage reduced appropriately.
- Patch 1.11.0 (2006-06-20): Mana cost reduced approximately 17%.