Legendary quality is currently the level of item quality in between Epic and Artifact. Generally there are very few of these items on any given server. It usually takes multiple end-game raid instance runs to acquire or craft these items. Legendary items are considered the most powerful items available to players. The names of legendary-quality items will appear in orange.
- is obtained by combining the , a rare drop from Ragnaros, with the , which is crafted by blacksmiths.
- is obtained first by obtaining two rare drops in the Molten Core, then by combining them with a large amount of crafting materials and defeating a special raid boss.
- Atiesh, Greatstaff of the Guardian was obtained by collecting several drops in Naxxramas and completing a brief quest. This weapon was unique in that there were different versions with different stats for each different caster class.
- In The Burning Crusade, the Twin Blades of Azzinoth drop off of Illidan Stormrage and off of Kil'jaeden instead of being quest rewards.
Wrath of the Lich King
Blizzard had originally stated that there would be quests for legendary items in Wrath of the Lich King; however, if there wasn't enough time to implement them, they would have to be dropped.
- is obtained via drops in Ulduar and a short quest, similar to Atiesh.
- is crafted after a long and arduous quest line in Icecrown Citadel.
- , crafted by caster classes through a long quest chain involving the Firelands raid.
- Fangs of the Father, gifted and updated by Wrathion through a long quest chain involving the Dragon Soul raid.
Mists of Pandaria
- and drops from bosses of Mogu'shan Vaults, Heart of Fear and Terrace of Endless Spring for 
- , drops from Sha of Fear in Terrace of Endless Spring for  .
- Sha-Touched gems, rewarded by  .
- , rewarded by  /  .
- drops from bosses of Throne of Thunder for  .
- drops from bosses of Chambers of Flesh-Shaping in Throne of Thunder for  .
- , drops from Lei Shen in Throne of Thunder for  .
- Wrathion's 'Crown of Heaven gems, rewarded by  .
- Nearly all equippable legendary items are weapons. Most other are components used to create these weapons. One, the , is a mount.
- Legendary items cannot be transmogrified, nor be used to transmogrify.
- Equippable items of legendary quality always have one or more attribute bonuses or procs.
- Equippable items at legendary quality can't be disenchanted by characters with the Enchanting profession.
- Before The Burning Crusade, all of the legendary items required a complicated and arduous quest line in order to get them.
- The hexadecimal color code for legendary itemlinks is #ff8000.