High Priest Venoxis (tactics)
- For the original incarnation of the encounter, see High Priest Venoxis (original).
High Priest Venoxis
|Race||Jungle troll (Humanoid)|
High Priest Venoxis is one, if not the first, boss players can encounter in the level 85 version of Zul'Gurub. He can still be found at his old location inside the instance.
- For character biography, see High Priest Venoxis.
Originally sent to kill Hakkar, Venoxis became enslaved to the murderous entitiy before falling to Azeroth's heroes. Through the efforts of the Soulflayer's agents, Venoxis has been ripped from the spirit world and ordered to defend Zul'Gurub with his venomous serpentine minions.
- Venomous Effusion — Venoxis will create a maze around the players, when a player is stood on and part of the maze they will take 47125 to 52875 Nature damage per second
- Toxic Link — Links two targets with a venomous tendril. Deals roughly 10000 Nature damage to the connected players. Increasing distance between linked targets will break the tendril resulting in a Toxic Explosion.
- Toxic Explosion — When Toxic Link is broken both players and any players within 15 yards of them will take 27750 to 32250 Nature damage.
- Whispers of Hethiss — Chanelled cast causing 1850 to 2150 nature damage to the target every 330 milliseconds for 8 seconds. (Inturruptable)
- Blessing of the Snake God — 3 second cast, signals the end of Phase 1, Venoxis takes his serpent form. Physical damage dealt increased by 100%, but rendered unable to dodge or parry.
- Pool of Acrid Tears — Creates a pool of acrid tears, which deals Nature damage and grows in size over time. Deals 9425 to 10575 Nature damage every .5 seconds to any player standing in it.
- Breath of Hethiss — 1.5 second cast. Affects a cone in front of Venoxis covering 15 yards causing 25000 Nature damage every .5 seconds for 3 seconds to any player in range.
- Bloodvenom — Bathe in the venom of Hethiss, summoning forth tendrils of venom that deal 37000 to 43000 Nature damage to nearby enemies.
- Venom Withdrawl — Signals the end of Phase 3, Low on Venom! Stuns the caster and increases damage taken by 100% for 10 sec. Fight returns to phase 1.
A large portion of the damage in this battle can be avoided. This fight requires concentration and thought to positioning of players and the boss.
Venoxis should be positioned so that melee players can place themselves behind the boss without taking damage from the maze walls or other damaging elements. Ranged players should go to differnet parts of the maze and maximise the distance between themselves and the tank/melee players in order to minimize travelling time when breaking the link. Any player affected by Toxic Link should stop casting and move away from the connected player as soon as possible. Whispers of Hethiss can and should be inturrupted for every cast, this may require 2 people to rotate inturrupts.
Pool of Acrid Tears will spawn around the area, the tank should be aware of any near the boss so that he can be moved to prevent damage being taken from then. When Venoxis begins casting Breath of Hethiss the tank and any players within 15 yards of the boss must ensure that they are behind him before the cast finishes. At the end of Phase 2 Venoxis will head back to where he started, players should head to a 'dead end' part of the maze to allow the maximum movement area for Bloodvenom.
When Venoxis summons the tendrils for Bloodvenom, players must be kite these and avoid other party members as the tendrils deal AoE damage to anyone in range. There will be one tendril summoned for each party member who is alive. A sound strategy is to stand still and wait for the tendrils to appear before running; exiting the maze before the tendrils appear will cause one to appear at the entrance and moving before the tendrils are summoned can cause a tendril to follow a player that is already running from one, both of which can cause unnecessary damage. Abilities such as or can prevent the damage being taken in an emergency. Players must be careful not to touch the walls of the maze, as doing so will cause roughly 50k nature damage per second. Keep this in mind if you plan to jump over the maze edges as the effect is slightly larger than the graphic. When Venoxis gets weakend from Venom Withdrawl, burn him with everything you've got. After this debuff dissipates phase 1 will start again.
- You disssssturb the plans of Gurubashi, little one. It'sss too late for you. Too late for all of you!
- Killing a Player
- The mortal coil unwindsss...
- Your sssacrifice pleases him.
- Casting Bloodvenom
- Yesss...ssssuccumb to the venom...
- Let the coils of death unfurl!
- Casting Word of Hethiss
- Hisss word, FILLS me, MY BLOOD IS VENOM, AND YOU WILL BATHE IN THE GLORY OF THE SNAKE GOD!!!
- My death means...nothing...
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2011-06-29): "High Priest Venoxis and Zanzil have had the damage of many of their spells and abilities reduced."
- Hotfix (2011-04-27): "Toxic Link now has a 100-yard range, down from infinity."
- Patch 4.1.0 (2011-04-26): Added