|Location||Wyrmbreaker's Rookery, Bastion of Twilight|
Halfus Wyrmbreaker is the first boss of Bastion of Twilight, a raid instance in the Twilight Highlands. He can be found in the Wyrmbreaker's Rookery, overlooking a lava pit and facing his guardian, the Proto-Behemoth. He is considered a fairly easy fight.
Halfus was beaten along with the other bosses in the first week of Cataclysm's release, but the heroic modes proved more difficult. The world first kills came on Wednesday, 15 December 2010.
Imbued with unnatural power and stamina by Cho'gall, the ettin Halfus Wyrmbreaker captures dragons for use as fodder in the Twilight's Hammer's rituals. To this end, he has enslaved a behemoth proto-dragon to aid him in hunting down his winged prey.
- Malevolent Strikes — (Ability gained from Slate Dragon) Halfus' attacks wound the target, reducing the effectiveness of any healing on it by 6% (Heroic: 8%). Stacks.
- Frenzied Assault — (Buff gained from Nether Scion) Increases the caster's attack speed by 100% (Heroic: 120%).
- Shadow Nova — (Ability gained from Storm Rider) Dark magic is unleashed, causing 28500 to 31500 (Heroic: 47500 to 52500) Shadow damage and knocking back all enemies within 50000 yds.
- Furious Roar — Halfus roars, inflicting 9500 to 10500 (Heroic: 19000 to 21000) Physical damage and knocking his enemies to the ground. Cast 3 times in succession once Halfus reaches 50% and periodically afterwards.
- Berserk — After 6 minutes, increases the caster's attack and movement speeds by 150% and all damage it deals by 500% for until cancelled. Also grants immunity to Taunt effects.
- Fireball Barrage — (Buff gained from Time Warden) Unleashes a stream of fireballs at random enemy targets. Each Fireball deals 25500 to 34500 (25: 42500 to 57500) Fire damage within 4 yards of impact. On Heroic, deals 34000 to 46000 (25: 51000 to 69000) Fire damage.
- Scorching Breath — (Buff gained from Orphaned Emerald Whelps) Breathes flame at enemies in front of the caster, inflicting 9000 (Heroic: 12000) Fire damage every second for 8 seconds.
- Fireball — (Base ability used when Orphaned Emerald Whelps and Time Warden are inactive) Inflicts Fire damage to enemies in a small area.
- Dragon's Vengeance — Halfus takes 100% increased damage from all sources. Stacks. Applied by drake when it dies.
- Time Dilation — Warps the flow of time around the target, causing its hostile actions to occur in slow motion. Applied by Time Warden, slows Proto-Behemoth's fireballs
- Cyclone Winds — Envelops the target in a cyclone, slowing its casting speed by 500%. Applied by Storm Rider on Halfus, slows Shadow Nova
- Nether Blindness — Nether fog blinds the target, impairing its vision and reducing its chance to hit, its attack speed, and its damage done by 25%. Applied by Nether Scion on Halfus
- Stone Touch — Afflicts the target, causing them to occasionally become paralyzed for 12 sec. While paralyzed the target cannot move or attack. Applied by Slate Dragon on Halfus
- Atrophic Poison — Poisons the target, reducing its damage done by 750. Applied by each Orphaned Emerald Whelp on Proto-Behemoth. Stacks to 8.
Halfus Wyrmbreaker is a tank and spank fight with some interesting debuff mechanics added in. He has one add, the Proto-Behemoth, that will spit fireballs at raid members and do an AoE flame breath. It is best to ignore this drake and concentrate on killing Halfus, as it has a large health pool and its damage can be either dodged or healed through.
Four friendly drakes and a pack of whelps are imprisoned in the area where Wyrmbreaker is engaged, but in normal mode 2 are unavailable each week. When freed, each drake or whelp pack will put a debuff on Halfus or his Proto-Behemoth pet. It will initially attack Halfus and give him its debuff, but after a couple seconds, the boss emotes, "Halfus Wyrmbreaker binds the <drake type> to his will!" The drake or pack then becomes mind controlled and must be tanked (and possibly killed depending on your tactic for the week).
Below 50% he periodically casts an unavoidable AoE ability called Furious Roar which is a raid wide aoe and stun which hits for around 10,000 three times.
The drake composition of the fight is selected per week and, like classic Nefarian, getting a difficult combination of adds might mean you have to wait until next week.
A drake being active means that Halfus has a buff that that drake can counter to some degree when it is released. A drake being unavailable (which only happens in Normal mode) means Halfus simply does not have that ability needing to be countered for the week. In heroic mode, Halfus has all abilities active, and you need to choose which abilities you want to counter (which drakes to release, and in which order).
- The Nether Scion
- Pre-fight, applies a frenzy buff to Halfus Wyrmbreaker (+100% attack speed). When freed, reduces his attack speed, hit chance and damage done.
- The Time Warden
- Gives Proto-Behemoth Fireball Barrage ability. When freed slows fireballs' flying speed.
- The Slate Dragon
- Gives Wyrmbreaker his Malevolent Strikes ability, which causes a stacking healing debuff. When freed periodically stuns Halfus for 12 seconds.
- The Orphaned Emerald Whelps
- Give Proto-Behemoth Scorching Breath ability. When freed, lowers the damage it does.
- The Storm Rider
- Gives Wyrmbreaker a Shadow Nova ability which deals AoE damage and knocks people back. When freed, reduces his cast speed, so it becomes possible to interrupt.
Two tanks are recommended for Halfus Wyrmbreaker, as additional drakes have to be tanked and, if the Slate Dragon is active, his hits apply a debuff that reduces healing received by 4% to a max of 15 (90% of healing negated) and stacks up rather quickly. Halfus Wyrmbreaker is tauntable until his enrage.
Halfus Wyrmbreaker has a 6-minute(?) hard enrage timer.
Strategy will depend on the drake combination of the fight. Usually two drakes will be awaken at the same time and then taken down consecutively. Once they are dead, DPS will switch to the boss. Sometimes, the raid will have to deal with two mechanics:
- If the Slate Dragon is active, the boss will get Malevolent Strikes, a Mortal Strike-like ability. Tanks must switch Halfus every N stacks (usually about 10) of Malevolent Strikes: otherwise, the tank will become unhealable. If the off-tank is busy tanking the drakes, it is handy to use a bubble or Hand of Protection on the main tank on the first 15 stacks; then the tank will retaunt Halfus.
- If the Storm Rider is active, Halfus will cast a Shadow Nova that *must* be interrupted (very hard unless the Storm Rider is released, see below). If it is not interrupted, the raid will take about 30k damage per member and suffer a knockback, making the encounter unhealable. Halfus will almost always Cast shadow nova During the 3rd stun tick of Furious Roar, while it is possible for the raid to eat this nova without too much concern if healers are keeping up it will make your healer more comfortable to interrupt and the best way to do that is to either have a mage blink the last stun and counter spell or it is possible for any other interrupt to be used at the last bit of the cast but is a little more risky.
Choosing which drakes to release can be tricky. The raid should take several considerations into account:
- The Storm Rider should always be released if active. The Shadow Nova will then become interruptable as its cast time rises from 0.25 seconds to 1.5 seconds.
- If the Slate Dragon and the Nether Scion are active, the Nether Scion has to be released. Otherwise, Malevolent Strikes will stack up very quickly.
- If the Time Warden is active, it is usually desirable to free him in order to make the Fireball Barrage slower and easier to dodge, thus avoiding a lot of raid damage.
|Date||US Realms Drakes||EU/KR/TW Realms Drakes|
|Slate Dragon||Storm Rider||Whelps||Nether Scion||Time Warden||Slate Dragon||Storm Rider||Whelps||Nether Scion||Time Warden|
|May 17 - May 23||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|May 24 - May 30||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|Jun 1 - Jun 7||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|Jun 8 - Jun 14||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|Jun 15 - Jun 21||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|Jun 22 - Jun 28||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|Jun 29 - Jul 5||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|Jul 6 - Jul 12||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|Jul 13 - Jul 19||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|Jul 20 - Jul 26||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|Jul 27 - Aug 2||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|Aug 3 - Aug 10||-||-||-||-||-||-|
The Halfus Wyrmbreaker Adds site can also show you which drakes and abilities will be available for the current and upcoming week.
- Cho'gall yells: Halfus! Hear me! (The Master calls, the Master wants) Protect our secrets, Halfus. Destroy the intruders. (Murder for His glory. Murder for His hunger.)
- Cho'gall will have your heads! ALL OF THEM!
- Killing a player
- The burden of the damned falls upon you!
- The wyrms will eat well tonight!
- Cho'gall yells: Flesh and sinew, weak but proud. Dare they part the Master's shroud? They stumble fumble groping blind, Finding fate and chaos intertwined.
World first heroic kill on 25-man achieved 15.12.2010 by Tsunami of Frostmourne US.
- LoDtvz LoD
- The Yogscast
- The WoW NOOB channel raidguide
- Cause and Effect, on screen guide, voice chat, low in game sound
- MrGelowe Post Patch 4.2
- Patch 4.0.6 (2011-02-08):
- Shadow Nova is now cast less frequently in 10-player modes to account for fewer available interrupts there.
- The captured drakes in this encounter now apply Dragon's Vengeance when they are killed instead of when they are freed. To account for this change, the health and damage of the drakes has been reduced, and the damage bonus gained from Dragon's Vengeance has been increased.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Added