Guild advancement is a feature announced during BlizzCon 2009 which allows guilds to level in a way similar to characters. There are currently 25 levels for a guild to progress through. Experience towards level progression is gained through guild member participation in dungeon and raid boss kills, battleground victories, Arena victories, and profession skill-ups. To qualify for guild XP, a raid or PvP group must be composed of at least 80% guild members (with some exceptions, see exact numbers below). Participating in any of these activities will also grant players reputation with the guild, which allows them to purchase unlocked guild rewards like heirlooms, recipes, pets and mounts. Originally, there was also going to be a guild currency and a guild talent tree system, but they were simplified (guild talent trees became a set of linear guild perks without exclusive choices, and guild rewards are purchased with gold instead of an additional currency type).
Earning guild experience
A guild is able to level up to level 25. Advancement in levels is done in a manner similar to player characters: a variety of tasks lead to earning XP which counts toward advancing to the next level.
Activities which earn guild XP include:
- Boss kills in a raid or dungeon in which most of the party is from the same guild (see below)
- Rated Battleground or Arena wins in which most of the party is from the same guild (see below)
- Completing quests / daily quests that reward experience
- Completing Guild Challenges.
For each level, the guild is awarded a special perk. These perks will add convenience to guild-related activities like raid-wide resurrection after a wipe or raid-wide summons.
Size of party to qualify for guild experience
The top left of your minimap will show a small flag with your guild logo indicating if your instance qualifies for Guild achievements. Hovering your mouse over the flag indicates the status. If it isn't showing the flag then your group won't qualify for guild XP/rep.
Raid and Dungeon boss kills
Guild xp for boss kills is scaled on a few factors:
- Boss level
- Normal / Heroic (Heroic dungeons have a 1.5 multiplier on all guild experience earned.)
- Number of guild members present (more xp for raids, since they are limited to once a week)
|Instance Type||Guild members required to receive guild achievements and guild XP|
|25 player raid||20 guild members|
|10 player raid||8 guild members|
|5 player dungeon||3 guild members for 50% of normal guild XP
4 guild members for 100% of normal guild XP
5 guild members for 125% of normal guild XP
|Pre-Wrath 25/40 player raids||10 guild members|
- Amount of guild members present
Rated battleground victories
- Amount of guild members present
- 8/10 - 10 player rated battleground
- 12/15 - 15 player rated battleground
Guild XP & guild reputation caps
As of 5.0.4 both the Guild Experience and the Guild Reputation caps have been removed.
The daily cap pre-5.0.4 on guild XP is 7,807,000 (7.807 million) XP. The guild's current XP is listed in the Guild Tab, which also showed a meter of how close your guild is to the daily cap. The daily cap on guild XP was removed at guild level 20; during the last five levels there was no limit on experience gains. See the table below for the time that was required for each level (assuming the cap was hit each day).
The weekly cap pre-5.0.4 on Guild Rep per individual member is 4,375 rep. Thus it took approximately 9½ weeks in a guild to reach exalted, provided you had enough guild activity each week to reach the cap. The weekly cap reset along with Daily Quests: 3 AM server time on Tuesday Morning for US servers, and 3 AM server time Wednesday morning for EU servers.
Although present at launch, Blizzard removed the ability of guilds to gain Guild XP from completing achievements in a hotfix deployed soon after Cataclysm's release, leading to the belief that every guild that hits the daily XP cap every day would eventually reach guild level 25 on the same day. As stated above, though, later patches and hotfixes removed the guild EXP cap for the last few levels, allowing guilds to meaningfully compete for Realm First.
- As of 5.0.4 the daily cap on experience gained has been removed.
Guild items and guild reputation
Participating in various activities earns members Guild reputation. Members can buy special items (with gold) based on their current reputation level.
- Main article: Guild achievements
Guilds are able to gain achievements for killing bosses, obtaining a certain membership demographic, and other activities. Some achievements reflect achievements already available to players.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28):
- (Rank 1) replaced by .
- (Rank 2) replaced by (Rank 2).
- replaced by Rank 2).
- replaced by .
- Daily Experience Cap removed.
- Guild experience for quest completion has been changed from 25% of quest experience to a flat 60,000 for green or better quests, gray quests no longer reward experience.
- Guild level cap was not and will not be raised in MoP
- Patch 4.2.0 (2011-06-28):
- The daily guild experience cap has been increased by 25%.
- The weekly guild reputation cap has been increased by 25%.
- The guild experience cap is now removed at level 20, down from level 23.
- Patch 4.0.6 (2011-02-08): Once a guild hits level 23, the daily cap on experience gained is removed.
- Hotfix (2011-01-18): "Guild experience daily resets should no longer sometimes fail to occur."
- Hotfix (2010-12-13): "The guild experience gained from quests has been greatly reduced from 100% to 25%."
- Hotfix (2010-12-08): "Guilds no longer receive guild experience when earning guild achievements."
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Added.