- For general info, see fear effect. For the rogue dagger, see [Fear].
- Level 14 warlock ability
- 30 yd range
- 4% of base mana
- 1.7 sec cast
- Strikes fear in the enemy, causing it to flee for up to 20 sec.
Damage caused may cancel fear. Limit 1 target.
|| [Glyph of Fear]
|| [Improved Fear]
- It fled without a word... unless "AAAAAGH!" counts as a word. 
Fear is a Warlock spell in the Affliction tree. Fear causes a single enemy to flee in fear, effectively disabling it temporarily.
- The duration of Fear is dependent on several factors.
- Fear has a potential PvE duration (versus mobs) of 20 seconds.
- Fear has a potential PvP duration (versus players) of 8 seconds.
- Fear has a damage limit. If the target takes damage equal to the limit, the Fear spell will break, regardless of the potential duration of the spell.
- Casting Fear on your minion's current target will automatically cause your minion to stop attacking that target.
- [Glyph of Fear] causes the enemy to instead "tremble in place" and be rooted to the spot; this glyph is effectively required for using Fear in PvE situations.
- Numerous abilities and items such as PvP trinkets may allow players to break the fear effect prematurely, while others may render them immune.
- When used against mobs, Fear will cause a patrol to aggro, even when glyphed.
- Fear is subject to diminishing returns when used against players. Consequently, repeated use of fear effects upon a player within a 15 second period will reduce the duration of the effect considerably.
- Fear is the only fear effect available to players that does not have a cooldown.
- [Improved Fear]: Causes your Fear spell to inflict a Nightmare on the target when the fear effect ends. The Nightmare effect reduces the target's movement speed by 30% for 5 sec.
- [Glyph of Fear]: Your Fear causes the target to tremble in place instead of fleeing in fear, but now causes Fear to have a 5 sec cooldown.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Debuff can no longer be dispelled (but can still be removed with immunities).
- Hotfix (2009-04-30): " [Mana Burn] now causes Fear, [Hex] and [Psychic Scream] to break early when used."
- Patch 1.8.0 (2005-10-10): Pets no longer break off attacks when their target is affected by Warlock Fear.
- Patch 1.7.0 (2005-09-22): Will now cause creatures to flee immediately, even if they are already moving.
- Patch 1.3.0 (2005-03-07): Mana cost changed to a percentage of base, which results in an increase in cost.
- Patch 1.2.0 (2004-12-18): Players now have an increasing chance to break free of the effect, such that it is unlikely the effect will last more than 15 seconds.