- Divine Hymn
- Level 78 Holy priest ability
- 40 yd range
- 6.3% of base mana
- 3 min cooldown
- Heals 5 (12 in 25 player instances) nearby lowest health friendly party or raid targets within 40 yards for (X + 154.2% of spell power) every 2 sec for 8 sec, and increases healing done to them by 10% for 8 sec. The Priest must channel to maintain the spell.
Divine Hymn is a channeled Holy priest multi-target healing ability. Like the Holy priest [Circle of Healing] it 'smart-heals' by selecting the 5 party or raid members within 40 yards with the lowest health, and channeling a very substantial amount of healing to them over 8 seconds (1 tick every 2 seconds). In addition, it grants a 10% increased healing buff to those targets for 8 seconds.
- This ability can easily turn any wipe around, although its 3 minute cooldown means it may be saved as an 'emergency' heal.
- Divine Hymn offers the highest mana efficiency of any priest ability in the game except [Lightwell], with more than five times the HPM of [Greater Heal].
- Divine Hymn will proc the Holy Mastery [Echo of Light], and can crit, procing [Divine Aegis].
- The 5 lowest health targets are selected each tick, meaning that when more than 5 targets are equally in need of healing, Divine Hymn's effect will be spread fairly evenly around the group - provided the targets are within 40 yards of the priest.
- Sufficient haste will add extra ticks to the ability, increasing total healing generated by 25% at 12.5%, and a further 20% at 37.5% haste. This makes Divine Hymn excellent for use in combination with haste trinkets and effects (such as [Power Infusion]) dramatically increasing the spell's effectiveness, and the speed at which its healing is delivered. See Known Bugs (below) for further details.
- Priests have 100% protection from pushback while channeling Divine Hymn. This means that priests don't have to worry about damaging attacks foreshortening the spell and wasting its effect. Effects such as stuns and interrupts will of course still stop the spell.
- As with all channeled spells (except [Penance]) Divine Hymn will not begin to heal until its first tick, 2 seconds after casting. In extremely critical situations, its healing may therefore come too late to save targets.
- Divine Hymn's healing buff is usually applied immediately after the first heal, although this may be a bug. When the spell's targets are constant, Divine Hymn therefore typically heals for at least 7.5% more than the tooltip states.
As a channeled spell, Divine Hymn is treated as a Heal over time, allowing haste to accelerate the rate at which its ticks occur. With sufficient haste, extra ticks are added to a HoT, improving not only its HPS but also its mana efficiency and total amount healed. Divine Hymn should be an exception to this, as its tooltip specifically states a maximum of 20 heals. However as of Patch 4.3.2, Divine Hymn responds normally to haste, with sufficient amounts granting extra ticks and so an increased total amount of healing. By using haste-granting trinkets, racials and spells (such as [Power Infusion]) before casting Divine Hymn, the priest can therefore dramatically increase the number of ticks and so total healing generated by the spell, particularly useful when used as an emergency heal. Additionally, because Divine Hymn's targets are selected each tick, any extra healing generated will not be wasted as overheals on targets already at full health.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 5.3.0 (2013-05-21): Now targets 12 raid members (up from 5) each time it heals when used in a 25-player instance.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Now a Holy specialization ability. No longer has a cap on healed targets.
- Patch 4.3.0 (2011-11-29): Now affects 5 targets, up from 3.
- Patch 4.1.0 (2011-04-26): Priests now innately have 100% pushback protection from damage while channeling Divine Hymn and [Hymn of Hope].
- Patch 3.3.0 (2009-12-08): Cooldown reduced from 10 minutes down to 8 minutes.
- Patch 3.2.0 (2009-08-04): This spell now works correctly with the trinket [Illustration of the Dragon Soul].
- Patch 3.1.2 (2009-05-19): Healing and healing scaling reduced by 30%. Buff on affected players changed from 15% to 10%.
- Hotfix (2009-04-28): "The effectiveness of the Priest spell Divine Hymn has been reduced."
- Patch 3.1.0 (2009-04-14): Redesigned: You recite a Holy hymn, summoning the power of the Divine to assist you in your time of need. Heals 3 nearby lowest-health friendly party or raid targets for 4960-5208 every 2 seconds for 8 seconds, and increases healing done to them by 15% for 8 seconds. Maximum of 12 heals. The Priest must channel to maintain the spell. Cooldown increased to 6 minutes, up from 5.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Added.