Carrion birds are large, carnivorous, scavenger birds. Other species include buzzards, rocs, condors, vultures, and swoops. They usually have featherless heads and broad, slow-flapping wingspans. Carrion birds are sometimes found lurking about the bones of dead beasts and ill-managed graveyards. They can be found in Mulgore, Westfall, Tanaris, the Arathi Highlands, Badlands, Blasted Lands, Thousand Needles, Desolace, Deadwind Pass, and Redridge Mountains. Carrion birds have also been seen in the Hellfire Peninsula and Terokkar Forest of Outland.
- Carrion birds are hostile beasts that will attack players that venture too close.
- Most carrion birds have a knock-down ability called Swoop that interrupts attacks by characters and requires time for them to get up after being knocked down.
In the Burning Crusade, there is an Outland version of the carrion bird which includes two heads with brightly colored feathers.
As a hunter pet
- Useful to hold threat on multiple targets with its special skill, Demoralizing Screech. Not seen very often as a hunter pet despite their desirable traits, possibly because their large wings can interfere with targeting.
Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Major changes.
- [Screech] replaced with [Demoralizing Screech]. Claw ability removed.
Armor had a +5% bonus and now has no bonus.
Health had no bonus and now has +5%.
Damage had no bonus and now has a +10% bonus.
Patch 3.1.0 (2009-04-14): Bonuses equalized.
- Damage had a +10% bonus and now has +5% bonus.
Armor had no bonus and now has a +5% bonus.